CHAPTER 8

"What did you say? We're taking a what?" I couldn't believe the audacity of Mommy's request. My gosh, I agreed to have dinner with the Windsor father and son duo, but there was no way I would agree to do what Mommy wanted.

"A family photo. It's for the engagement venue and wedding invitation," she said casually as she browsed through clothes.

"Have you gone mad? Why must we take a family photo?" I exclaimed, unable to contain my disbelief. My raised voice caught Mommy's attention, and she shot me a warning glance.

"Lower your voice. Don't be rude in someone else's store," she scolded me.

"Because you're crossing the line. I didn't even want to go to your family dinner, and now this? A family photo? No, I refuse," I stated firmly, emphasizing my point to Mommy.

"I'll take the blue one," Mommy said to the sales lady, who nodded and left. Then, Mommy turned her attention back to me.

"Don't throw tantrums. They have no effect now. You're not three years old anymore, acting like a child," she admonished me.

"As if taking a family photo will magically make us a better family," I retorted, unable to hold back my frustration. Mommy's gaze hardened at my words.

"Watch your tone, Nionahlie," she warned.

"Besides, you controlled my life when I was three years old too," I continued, feeling a surge of anger.

"All you had to do then was smile. Was that so exhausting?" Mommy countered dismissively.

I couldn't believe her nonchalant attitude. "Fine, I'll go to the family photo. But don't expect me to be happy about it," I stated defiantly before storming out.

"Nionahlie, come back here," Mommy called after me, but I ignored her as I dialed Sheldon's number.

"Where are you?" I asked as soon as he picked up, already feeling some relief at hearing his voice.

He quickly told me his location kaya nagmadali akong pumunta, and I spotted him dressed in his taekwondo gear, looking sweaty and tired. It seemed like he had just finished training.

"Have you heard about our family photo?" Tanong ko agad nang makalapit. Tiningnan niya lang ako at uminom ng tubig. "Well, you're not the only one feeling like shit," I added with a scoff, irritated by the situation.

"What do you want to do about it?" he inquired, starting to remove his taekwondo attire piece by piece.

"Help me break off this damn engagement," I snapped, feeling the weight of frustration bearing down on me.

He paused, glancing at me with those inscrutable eyes of his, clad now only in a stark white robe. "I thought you were perfectly capable of handling that yourself?"

"I would if I could think of a way," I shot back, my patience wearing thin.

"Do you want to date me?"

Gusto kong matawa sa sinabi niya, "Have you gone mad, too?"

With a nonchalant shrug, he opened his locker and began stowing away his belongings. "I can't terminate the engagement, but I can certainly cancel the family photo," he offered, surprising me with his unexpected helpfulness.

I couldn't help but feel a twinge of grudging admiration for him. Maybe, just maybe, there was more to Sheldon than met the eye. Ito na yata ang pinakamagandang narinig ko na sinabi niya sa tanang ng buhay niya.

"Can you really do that?" I asked, intrigued by the possibility.

"Well, I'm not you," he retorted, his lips curling into a smirk. "So yes, I can handle it."