CHAPTER 17

"If you roll a fair six-sided die twice, what is the probability of getting a six on both rolls?"

"Hmm, okay. Since each roll is independent of the other, the probability of getting a six on the first roll is one out of six, right?"

"That's correct. And what about the second roll?"

Ang buong akala ko ay aalis na si Rinoa matapos ibigay ang nakalimutan niya pero hindi. At talagang nakihati pa sa oras ni nerdy. Nagpaturo rin siya at sinabing babayaran ang lalaki pagkatapos. At si nerdy naman ay pumayag at tinuruan na siya, habang ako ay pinapanood lang sila. Parang wala naman silang pakialam sa mundo.

Hindi pa nga kami tapos sa isang lesson.

"It's the same probability, right? Because each roll is independent, so it's still one out of six."

"Exactly. So, to find the probability of both events happening, we multiply the probabilities together. What do you get?"

"Um, let me think...one over six times one over six is...one over thirty-six!"

Tumango si Nerdy.

"Tama. The probability of rolling a six on both rolls is indeed one over thirty-six. Nice one" puri ng lalaki kay Rinoa at nakipag-apir pa.

"Since when did you two become close?" I asked, shifting my gaze between the two of them.

"Remember my rooftop days? We talked there, so we've become somewhat close now," Rinoa replied.

I raised an eyebrow. Wasn't she the one who didn't want to get close because nerdy and that girl were poor? Nagpatuloy sila sa pag-aaral habang ako ay nakaupo lang sa isang tabi. Mula kay Rinoa ay lumipat ang tingin ko sa lalaki.

"And why are you here too?" I asked sharply at Ariena, who was also seated on the floor facing her laptop.

"Rinoa called me," she replied, her eyes fixed on the screen as she read something. I took a deep breath, feeling a sense of unease at having so many people in my penthouse. It wasn't something I was used to.

I glanced around the room, taking in the sight of Rinoa and Ariena both engrossed in their own activities. The atmosphere felt crowded, and I couldn't shake off the feeling of discomfort that settled over me. It all started with him.

Despite my initial reservations, I started to realize that he wasn't so bad after all. Sure, he might not be the smartest kid in school, but he knew his stuff. And as much as I hated to admit it, I was actually learning something from him.

As the weeks went by, I started to notice a change in my grades. Thanks to his help, I was acing quizzes and exams left and right. It was a shock to everyone, especially me. Who knew that the queen bee could actually excel academically?

Of course, I made sure to keep our tutoring sessions under wraps. I couldn't risk tarnishing my reputation by letting everyone know I was seeking help from someone they considered beneath them. Well, si Rinoa at Ariena pa lang ang nakakaalam, at wala akong narinig na panghuhusga sa kanila.

Habang naglalakad papunta sa kotse kong naghihintay ay bigla kong natanaw si Rinoa kasama ang isang lalaki sa likod niya. Nang makalapit sila sa kotse ni Rinoa ay ibinigay ng lalaki ang mga librong dala na sa tingin ko ay kay Rinoa sa driver na siyang naglagay ng mga ito sa loob ng sasakyan. Sumakay si Rinoa sa sasakyan at iniwan ang lalaki.

"Ma'am Niona" tawag sa akin ni kuya Joberth. Sumakay na ako sa sasakyan. Umandar ang sasakyan at tinahak ang pamilyar na daan, ang daan papunta sa bahay ni mommy.

What does she want this time?

I went to the house because Mom said she had something important to tell me. She mentioned that I should attend Tita Cerise's double celebration because Tita Cerise's friends and some famous acquaintances were coming over. She said she'd introduce me to them. I initially didn't plan on attending, but since she insisted, I didn't have much of a choice. Her word was final. After she said that, I immediately asked Kuya Joberth to take me to the penthouse.