CHAPTER 19

This is impossible. He always wins.

I moved my piece on the chessboard, trying to predict his next move. My brow furrows in concentration as I attempt to outmaneuver him, but he remains several steps ahead.

He gave me a gentle smile. "Your move, Niona."

I sighed and moved my piece, feeling as if I'm simply playing into his hands.

"This is so unfair. How does he always know what I'm going to do?" I said under my breath.

He studied the board for a moment, then made his move, effortlessly putting my king in check.

"Checkmate." He said.

I stared at the board in disbelief, feeling a mixture of frustration and admiration for my tutor's skill.

"Again?" Bumagsak ang balikat ko. "How did you do it, nerdy?"

"Years of practice, Niona. You're improving, though. One day, you might even beat me." He said with a chuckle.

Naningkit ang mga mata ko, clearly not convinced.

"I doubt that. You're too good. It's not fair."

He leaned his back on the sofa, a twinkle of amusement in his eyes.

"Life isn't always fair, Niona. But the important thing is to keep trying, keep learning. That's how we improve."

I nodded, reluctantly accepting his wisdom. I resettled the pieces on the board, ready for another round.

"Alright, one more game. But this time, I'm going to win."

Umayos ulit siya ng upo.  "I look forward to it."

As we begin the next game, I am determined to finally outsmart my tutor. Though his expertise seems insurmountable, I refused to give up, fueled by my competitive spirit and the hope of one day achieving victory over this nerd.

Madalas na kaming naglalaro ng chess. Pagkatapos niya akong turuan sa mga lesson ko ay chess naman ang ituturo niya sa akin. Actually, hindi naman ako mahilig dito, naituro lang sa akin ni Rinoa noong nakita ko silang naglalaro ni Yena. Hindi ko alam kung bakit, pero nag-eenjoy ako kapag kalaro ko ang nerd na ito. Marahil ay dahil nach-challenge ako sa kaniya.

"Paano ka mananalo roon? E hindi ka nga manalo sa akin" sabi ni Rinoa.

Tinarayan ko siya at sumubo ng lasagna. Hindi rin ako nanalo kagabi kahit ilang ulit pa kami. Kahit yata magdamag kaming maglaro ay paulit-ulit lang akong matatalo. 

"Bakit ba ako naririto??" Tanong ko kay Rinoa nang makapasok kami sa gate nila.

"Kailangan naming mag-practice ng kanta, at dahil kasama ang tutor mo, narito ka. Hindi ka naman papayag na ma-cancel ang session without any reason, right?"

She's right.

"At dito kami mag-aaral ganoon?"

Tumango siya at ngumiti. "Hmm-mm, para makasabit kami ni Yena ng lesson"

"Whatever"

Binati ako ni tita Cerise pagkapasok sa mansion nila. A large and beautiful chandelier welcomed us. The chandelier hanging from the ceiling was a sight to behold. It was big and round, with lots of shiny pieces hanging from it. The pieces sparkled in the light, making little rainbows on the walls and floor. The chandelier itself was a mix of shiny gold and crystal-clear glass. The gold parts were bright and golden, like the sun, while the glass parts were clear and sparkly, like diamonds. It looked like something you'd see in a palace in a fairy tale, magical and beautiful. And when you looked up at it, it seemed to fill the whole room with its brightness and sparkle. It was the kind of thing that made you stop and stare, feeling amazed at how something so simple could be so stunning.