Raspberry sorbet

Test tubes pov

I land out of the portal on my feet and slowly walk towards my newly built machine as fan follows behind. I find myself thinking a lot about the time and effort I put into this, eyeing the chair in the middle of the machine I am about to place fan into. As I got closer, for some reason, a feeling washes over me.

A feeling of slight worry. It only lingers for a second and then fades away like nothing happened.

But it bothers me anyway. What happened? Did I forget something?

There's always a reason for that type of feeling.

I try to shrug it off as I reach the control panel of the machine.

"Just sit in that chair fan, I'll be right with you" I say, gesturing in the direction, while looking at all my buttons.

He sits down and I walk over to secure all of the straps onto his pulse areas, such as his wrist and neck. But as I reach for the very first strap, I notice something off

The light in the middle of the strap

It isn't on.

And it was meant to be.

Confused, I walk to the control panel again, while slightly warming up feeling fans' eyes on me. Then somehow, it's only now that I realise that none of the lights are on. The display screen isn't even open.

A little worried, I check the fuse box, but everything seems to be fine.

"Is everything okay?" fan calls out from his place.

"Yeah, it just doesn't seem to be on, right n..." I say, before trailing off as my eyes lay on a small blue button in the bottom right.

The power up button. And it wasn't pushed in.

I stare at it for a few moments, before starting to laugh. Fan looks up confused, nervously laughing along as he asks, "what's so funny?"

"Golly, I don't know how this happened. I made this fuse box last night but I never pressed the power up button" I say, still giggling a little.

"Oh! Don't worry. Will that affect our session today though?" Fan asks

"Well.. this machine does take a day to start.."

"Oh.. well that's ok" fan says, standing up. I say sorry to him and he assures me it's alright while we leave the lab.

Once we ended up in my bedroom, we sit on the bed, wondering what to do. He grabs a pillow and presses it against his stomach while thinking, and I smile at his usual antics.

I even felt my face heat up a little.

"I mean, we only had the lie detector on our minds today.. So what do we do?" he wonders.

"I don't know about you but, I'm kinda hungry" I say. I only ate half of my breakfast today, in excitement of actually finishing the machine.

"Me too, but I'm not feeling anything filling, you know"

"Me neither" I agree with fan.

"Let's go down and check the kitchen for what they have", he says, jumping off the bed and opening the door. I thank him and he follows me out of the room.

We reach the pantry and looks for snacks, and we find chocolate cupcakes.

"Feeling cupcakes?" fan asks.

"Nah"

"Me neither"

We put them back and start checking the kitchen. Neither of us want anything savoury so we skip past the leftover soup from breakfast. As fan searches the cabinets, I open the freezer.