Chapter Eight: The Garden of Eden

We were all sitting in the training room watching TV. Alec Tudor explained the Trials as if we didn't know what they were. Surviving each day gives us 2 points, killing someone gives us 80, and interacting with Claudius and Priscilla (and the audience gives us 100). These points can get us unsponsored gifts. We just ask our hosts how many points we have and then buy whatever we need. Sponsored gifts are gifts that people send us. Sometimes the Applicants get little notes from them.

"Alright, everyone. To start your training for the day."

I walked off to the electric traps, feeling rather annoyed. I don't want to stare at Alec Tudor's perfect face. I tried to set it up, but I'm not very good with Eden's technology. I'm used to cranking metal together. I gave up after a few dozen tries and snaps. I walked over to the bathroom and washed my hands. I walked over to Jace in the medical station, no one bothered to go near here. It was sectioned off, secluded from them.

"It's good to know you can stop the bleeding out."

Jace jumps, "Shit! You scared me!"

"Sorry."

Jace stands up, "I didn't even hear you."

"I guess I'm light on my feet."

"No shit Sherlock." Jace cleaned off the rag from the fake blood, "Where were you?"

"I got frustrated with the electric stuff."

"Electricity got the best of you?"

"I just wasn't in the mood."

❋ ❋ ❋

"Kirsten, let's go out," Jace jumps on the couch.

"Why exactly?"

"Because we should take a break. Go out and look around."

"Are you sure, they might hound us when we go out?"

I grabbed my jacket and met Jace at the door.

"Where are we going?"

"Let's go downtown and eat."

We leave the building and get into John's car.

"When did you learn to drive?"

"John taught me," Jace said. "When you and Claire went out for your tour. A lot of it was easy to remember."

"Why didn't he teach me?"

"He thinks that you'll run someone over by 'accident'."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I don't think he would even trust you with a knife."

"Wow, I thought I was his favorite!"

"You are, he never shuts up about you."

"Yeah right. John just likes me because he was friends with my father."

"That too." Jace laughs.

After a few minutes, we reached downtown. We walked along the streets with all of the shops and restaurants. We looked through the window of a jewelry store.

"What must it be like to have such a bauble hanging around your neck?"

"Status." Jace says, "I think most people just like to wear their jewels to show themselves off, to show that they have more than you. So people buy as many jewels as they can. It makes them feel good spending money, it means they have it."

"I've never really thought about it that way."

"Would you want one?"

"A giant diamond around my neck? No thanks."