Chapter 10: Year Three (V)

Summary:

Holly takes months to realize the obvious, scandalizes the population for entertainment, has an emotionally constipated yet touching moment, and makes questionable decisions when left alone.

After Christmas break life continued as normal, albeit with minor changes.

At some point, Holly wasn't sure when, she and Granger started actually talking to each other. She wasn't sure when or how it happened, only that one day she realized they were in the middle of a conversation about how clueless wizards could be.

They didn't talk outside of class or study together. Didn't do anything besides talk in class sometimes.

It... wasn't unpleasant.

Granger wasn't interrogating her or being annoying. She didn't look annoyed when Holly beat her in practical lessons anymore. She was even helpful sometimes!

The more she thought about it the more it weirded her. It was in March when they were walking back in from care of magical creatures and Holly finally asked.

"Granger, what's going on here? How come you don't care if I beat you in class anymore?"

Granger stopped with a disbelieving expression. "Honestly Holly, for someone so smart you're truly oblivious sometimes. We're friends."

As if Holly wasn't already shocked, she continued. "I saw on the train ride that you're hiding your skills, downplaying your talent. Even holding back you're still beating me. I- it took me time to realize that I won't always be the best, but that doesn't make me bad at something. So, I still try my best even when you constantly do better."

"I don't know why but you do it but surely have a good reason." Her expression softened, "And Holly, my name's Hermione. We're friends after all."

With that Gra- no, Hermione, walked away leaving a dumbfounded Holly behind.

---

The political firestorm was still dominating the news months later. The scandal of Sirius being innocent and Fudge's incompetence was a major story after all.

Of course, it helped that Holly had hired the goblins to persuade the newspaper to keep the scandal alive. It was fun watching her classmates slowly recognize how incompetent their leaders were. Maybe they'd grow cynical enough to demand change when they were older. She wasn't getting her hopes up though, for now it was entertaining and she had piles of gold to spare.

Eventually her manufactured scandal got results: the minister was sacked and replaced by someone named Amelia Bones. She didn't particularly think the new minister would be any better but according to Sirius she was competent.

(Apparently she was also an old flame of his which she'd rather not have known.)

Her letters with Sirius had become slightly more meaningful as well. Sirius understood now she wasn't a prankster or sociable like her parents had been. Seemed fine with it even. He'd already known she was a metamorphmagus too. Even knowing that one comparatively small secret felt like a weight off her shoulders.

Hearing that, Holly decided to take a risk and tell him life at the Dursleys wasn't great. When he started asking too many questions she changed the subject to officially becoming friends with Hermione. Thankfully it seemed to work.

Or at least, that's what she thought.

A month before the end of the term Sirius dropped a metaphorical bomb on her: he offered to let her live with him.

Naturally, this caused Holly to panic.

While the rest of her potions class was panicking over their imminent OWLS she was worrying over her summer plans. Sirius was nice, he'd promised not to be overbearing and everything. She knew he'd try his best to care for her.