Chapter 19: Year Four (VIII)

Summary:

Holly manages to delude herself, learns the perils of friendship, has a close encounter of the surreal kind, and begins her final preparations.

A few hours after the second task Holly was sitting with Fleur and Hermione at a table in the kitchens overflowing with food. While she ate both of them gave her an update on the reactions to the second task after she'd left.

Hermione, speaking in accented French, started. "None of the judges looked happy you all used portkeys. Didn't make for a good show I imagine. Most students afterwards weren't sure how to feel: portkeys were boring but they know it was better than staring at the surface of the Lake for an hour."

"I think your Ministry officials and professors were surprised at our belief our friends were in serious danger." Fleur chimed in with, "they tried to explain they were perfectly safe and seemed offended when we clearly didn't trust their judgment." She scoffed, "the same people who thought fighting dragons could be made safe and were offended when we didn't trust their judgment. At least your Dumbledore seemed to understand."

"After we explained how you told us our friends would likely be hostages and gave us portkeys, they gave you the most points at 38. The rest of us got 25 for cooperation and trying to protect our friends, but ignoring the 'spirit of the Task.'"

"Well that's some bullshit. Fucking wizards." Only, then Holly processed the last bit of information. "Wait, if I got 13 more points then the rest of you-"

"You're now in 1st place. Congratulations Holly." Hermione said, looking far too amused.

Dumbstruck, she looked over at Fleur for support only to her nodding along. "It is well-deserved. Your performance in the First Task was far more impressive then the rest of ours. You only received less points because of Dumbledore saying you 'violated the spirit of the Task.' And the Second Task? You found the true meaning of the riddle. Your portkey solution was simple, elegant, and effective." Fleur looked over at Hermione, "am I missing anything?"

Hermione, smiling widely, seemed to agree. "I think the only thing you're missing is Holly accidentally helping dragon populations while also making their blood more available."

"Ah yes, very impressive that."

Holly, between having Fleur compliment her and realizing she was winning the stupid tournament, groaned loudly. She pushed away her food and folded her arms on the table to hide her flushed face in.

Hearing Hermione and Fleur laughing at her didn't exactly make it better.

"I hate everything." Only, then she realized something: she didn't have to stay here with them! "Screw you two, I'm going to talk to someone who doesn't tease me."

Although, she wasn't certain about that. Luna was impossible to read.

Hermione's laughter abruptly cut off, suddenly looking shocked. "You talk to other people then us? When did that start? How did I not know this?"

"Yeah, Luna. She's usually out in the Forest feeding the thestrals. I'm not sure where she gets the chunks of mystery meat but she's nice."

On that ominous note, she left the two concerned looking girls behind and walked into the Forest.

Sure enough, Luna was there feeding the thestrals chunks of mystery meat. Before Holly could say anything Luna turned and smiled at her in that unfocused, distinctly Luna-esq way.

"Hello Holly, congratulations on your victory over the Rotfang Conspiracy. I don't think they're very happy with you right now."

"Er, thanks. How go Luna things?"