Chapter 22: Summer 1995

Summary:

Holly considers her future, learns what been going on in her absence, attempts to play nice, and does Hermione an overdue favor.

Notes:

Heads up, I might not be able to upload next week. I was already behind in writing and that was before I spent most the week sick. (It hasn't been updated since 2023 but when it will I'll let you know)

Plus my college semester is starting and that's, you know, a thing.

It was two weeks into summer break and, once again, Holly was reading a newspaper detailing the exploits of The Phantom Thief. Once again she'd robbed 14 corrupt rich targets over 2 weeks, only this time they were all in Spain. She'd had fun sneaking around their homes and finding their "hidden" safes.

This time there was a frontpage picture of her calling card: a slip of paper with a picture of a cute ghost wearing a thief's mask and carrying a money sack. She'd printed them out and left one at each crime scene. Something about claiming her robberies was viciously satisfying.

If she was using her crime spree as distraction? Well, that was nobody's business.

(She very carefully wasn't thinking about what might be going on back in Britain. Or about how she kept feeling the faintest sense of foreign emotions outside her mental barriers.

She might hate the so-called "wizarding world" but she didn't want to abandon them and let their dumbasses get killed. But she knew she wasn't ready to fight Adult Tom or attack groups of Death Eaters in a straight fight. Likewise, any attempted assassinations of the Death Eaters would only alert them to a threat. It'd only make things worse. She needed to wait for an opportunity. Which meant leaving them to their fates for now.

It was only 2 weeks. Wizarding society was seeming helpless but surely they couldn't be that inept. They could handle it. Hopefully.)

She'd stolen a lot this time: a fortune's worth of bills, jewelry, books, and a couple gold bars. Even the Goblins were impressed with her haul.

It begged the question: what was she going to do with all the money? She could hoard it but that felt rather pointless. She was already rich enough that making money felt like increasing her score in a video game. Even without stealing anything her investments were making a shocking amount of money.

Maybe she could invest in non-magical businesses? That'd be smart, some of those computer companies looked like they had promise. Besides, if she invested all her stolen money into the wizard economy she could accidentally cause rampant inflation.

But investing would still only make her richer. Maybe she could go full Robinhood and donate the money? That'd be a good thing to do. Thematically appropriate too.

She'd need to launder the money first but she had no doubt the goblins could do that, for a fee. After that it shouldn't be too hard to set up a couple charities under several false identities.

She'd need to pitch the idea to Gronuk. Hopefully the idea of giving away money wouldn't be taboo to them.

Nodding to herself, Holly apparated to Potter Manor and let herself in.

It took about 2 seconds for Flory to appear next to her and shove a tray piled high with food into her hands. Before she could react Flory popped away with a smug grin, leaving Holly alone in the entrance hall, holding a tray of food.

Staring down at the food, Holly still wasn't sure that'd just happened.

Naturally, that was when Sirius came running in. Fortunately for the food he managed to come to a sliding stop before hugging her.