Chapter 18: Year Four (VII)

Summary:

Holly forgets something important, has a couple important conversations, causes Hermione significant stress, and completes the Second Task.

Holly's Christmas break started, as with many things involving other people, her forgetting something important.

Namely, getting on the train to leave for break.

Holly didn't realize this until she got a mirror call from Sirius who'd apparently been waiting at Kings Cross for her.

"-where are you? I know I didn't explicitly ask but obviously you're invited to Potter Manor for break. It's your own manor." Sirius paused for a moment before backtracking, "you don't have to visit. It's fine. I'll just, uh, owl your gifts up to you and-"

"Sirius, its fine, I'll see you in a few minutes." She hung up on a sputtering Sirius and, after sneaking out of Hogwarts, apparated to Potter Manor.

Inside she quickly found a panicking Sirius who was still trying to contact her with his mirror. "Hey Sirius."

Without looking up from his mirror he answered, "not now Prongslet, I'm still trying to reach you. Why aren't you answering?" Another beat passed before he processed his own words and his head snapped up to look at her.

"Holly? How did you get here? Have you been sneaking out of the castle?"

Holly smiled, "ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. Now I believe you said something about inviting me for the holidays?"

Sirius, the complete sap, couldn't exactly stay angry at the prospect of spending time together.

---

After almost burying her alive in gifts (mostly rare advanced potions book again for some reason?), he sat back with a knowing smile on his face.

"So Holly, did you see the Daily Prophet today?"

Oh no, that smirk can't mean anything good. "...No?"

Sirius nodded, trying and failed to hide his amusement with mock seriousness. "It was covering the Yule Ball, you see. Primarily the champions and their dates." He tossed her the paper, the front page dominated by a large moving picture of her and Fleur dancing together.

Sure enough, there was Fleur softly smiling at her, looking devastatingly beautiful, while Holly herself was dumbly smiling back.

Which, well, anyone with a brain could look at that picture and see the obvious. She hadn't exactly cared about hiding it, but it looks like she hadn't come out of the closet so much as she'd burst out like the Kool-Aid man.

'So that's where he's going with this. Good thing I have the perfect distraction and justification for him.'

"After the dance was announced both Fleur and I were constantly being asked out by annoying boys. So I asked Fleur if she wanted to go together to prank everyone who annoyed us. She agreed." Holly smirked, "you should have seen their faces."

For a few seconds Sirius was shocked into silence before he started laughing hysterically. He eventually managed to stop, sitting up and wiping his eyes. "That's brilliant Prongslet, I'm proud of you."

Holly smiled back, ignoring the twisting feelings of guilt.

"By the way, I have an actual present for you: I ordered a pensieve from Gringotts. Should be here in a few days."

It was a complete lie: in the excitement of the dance she'd completely forgotten to get Sirius a present. Hopefully the goblins wouldn't mind the rush order if she gave them a bonus tip.