Chapter 27: Year Five (II)

Summary:

Holly actually understands someone for once, hears a very strange and seemingly irrelevant prophecy, and considers the future.

Notes:

This chapter contains some heretical hot takes from The Carnivorous Muffin and Vinelle's metas. They're great and horrifying and amazing, just like their fics. Go read their stuff.

For the rest of the day after what Holly now knew to be any attack on the Ministry, they had classes off.  Rather understandable considering a large portion of the students were wondering if their parents had been killed in the fighting.

She managed to get the facts – as he knew them – from an exhausted and slightly singed Sirius in the Hogwarts hospital wing.

(Which, why was he there of all places?  Were there no other places that could safely provide medical care to a known Order member or was Dumbledore treating Hogwarts as an Order safehouse?  Whatever the case, it certainly didn't give Holly a high opinion of wizard's medical care system.)

Apparently Adult Tom, with his entire Inner Circle of Death Eaters, simply showed up in the Ministry lobby like they owned the place.  Not exactly a great battle strategy, but considering it almost worked she couldn't exactly say they were wrong to do so.

From there fighting erupted as the Aurors responded but they weren't enough to stop the Adult Tom from crushing everyone and everything in his path.  One of the Order's members in the aurors (which, hello blatant corruption wizards were too stupid to see was corruption) sent out a patronos message calling in the Order. By the time Sirius and the rest of the Order managed to respond, Adult Tom and crew had gotten deep into the Ministry.

That's where Sirius got shifty, either out of genuine ignorance or misplaced concern, and vaguely alluded to Adult Tom Attacking the Ministry because he was after a weapon there.  Dumbledore had dueled Adult Tom  and apparently managed to drive him off, even making him leave behind some of his groupies in his rush to escape.  Dumbledore had gotten injured, but apparently managed to injure Adult Tom in turn.

From there Sirius was decided less helpful, going on tangents about how he'd "knew they could rely on Dumbledore" and "they say 'he was the only wizard Voldemort was ever afraid' for a reason."

Holly and Hermione, making eye contact when Sirius looked away, came to a silent agreement not to mention that Adult Tom had fled because Holly had been attacking his mind, not Dumbledore.  It'd be bad for morale and all that.

Plus he'd be all concerned and overprotective of her afterwards.  No thanks.

(Not that he'd even believe it; let alone support her.  She'd never told Sirius about her mind reading skills.  Unless Dumbledore had told him, Sirius was under the impression she was only using occlumency to hold off Adult Tom; not to fight back.

That wasn't even considering how he likely wouldn't even approve, not just out of fear for her safety, but because he would see destroying someone's mind as "dark magic." 

Sirius, she knew from The Rat's memories, had formed his sense of right morality by doing what he thought his family hated.  They hated werewolves, so Sirius befriended one.  They were Slytherins, so Sirius hated Slytherins.  His self identity revolved around rebelling against them, even now years after their death. Add in the fact he nearly got Snape killed during his 5th year and it was obvious Sirius had a... warped sense of morality.