Chapter 14: Year Four (III)

Summary:

Operation: Become a Total Badass is put into action, Holly gets caught up on recent events, meets two very different blonds, and causes Hermione significant stress.

Hogwarts suddenly became annoying again after her name was drawn. Everywhere Holly went normal abruptly conversations stopped. People stared and whispered constantly. Even her own roommates (she still didn't know their names) had hissed conversations when they thought she was asleep.

Of course, nobody had dared to confront her yet. Her reputation for being violently reclusive was protecting her from that so far.

According to Hermione people were heavily divided on if she put her name in or not.

Allegedly some believed she hated everyone and would never willing interact with people, not even for prize money. When Hermione told her she laughed. It wasn't that far off.

The other half believed Holly ignored everyone because she thought she was better than everyone. That, out of some kind of narcissism, Holly had entered to show off.

What seemingly wasn't in doubt was if Holly could've entered her name if she wanted. Hogwarts collectively agreed that she could've figured out a way around the age line.

Which again, was true. She would've simply levitated a paper with her name on it over the age line.

Either way, her fame and reclusiveness had apparently made people think she was wildly powerful and skilled. Which, ok, she was exceptionally skilled for her age but they didn't have any way to know that. Clearly wizards were easily manipulated. No wonder they kept having dark lords if it was that easy to form a cult following.

The night her name was drawn she'd snuck out to Diagon Alley for supplies. A high-end potions equipment shop she found sold cauldrons with engraved runes designed to increase a potions potency. Holly wasn't sure which metal type would be best so she bought one of each 4 standard metals, plus another made of solid gold.

The clerk looked extremely suspicious but didn't question the piles of galleons she paid with.

Unfortunately, they had no good way to precisely measure the strength multiplying effect of the runes, only advertising that potions any brewed in them would be "several to many times stronger." Fortunately she had an idea to figure that out.

Using her 5 new cauldrons and a standard pewter cauldron for a control group, she brewed 6 fertilizing potions. After that it wasn't hard to ask a bewildered Professor Sprout to use her potions on a couple dittany sprouts and measure the results.

She watched the plants rapidly grew, several of them practically shooting up. By the time the plants were finished growing a few were taller then Holly, with the one using the gold cauldrons' potion reaching the ceiling.

Professor Sprout seemed a bit stunned by that for some reason. Thankfully she didn't protest when Holly asked if she could take some dittany clippings with her. It wasn't until she'd finished harvesting dittany that professor Sprout managed to ask for more of her potions.

Obviously, she agreed, but asked to be paid in fresh clippings.

'Dittany, grown with a potion I made and personally harvested. This'll go quite nicely in my regenerative elixir.'

---

The next ingredient was a bit harder to get. She knew from her Care class there were unicorns in the Forbidden Forest but had no idea where. Blindly stomping around the Forest looking for them seemed like asking for trouble.

Thankfully there was somebody who knew and was certain to have an unguarded mind.

During Care class she subtly dove into Hagrid's mind and was horrified.