9. Judgment of the Inquisitor

As the hunters continued their relentless assault on the monstrous creature, their weapons flashing in the dim light of the void, a sense of determination burned within them like a raging fire. Blow after blow rained down upon the beast, each strike dealing serious damage as they fought with all the strength and skill they possessed.

Riona, fueled by a fierce determination to protect her fellow hunters, launched herself into the fray with renewed vigor, her every movement a testament to her unwavering resolve. With a final, decisive blow, she landed the finishing strike, her weapon slicing through the creature's flesh with a resounding thud.

Cheers erupted from the hunters as the monstrous creature collapsed to the ground, defeated at last. They stood triumphant amidst the wreckage, their hearts filled with pride and relief at their hard-fought victory.

But their celebration was short-lived, as the dark figure, the Inquisitor, arrived to deliver his judgment upon them.

"Congratulations," he intoned, his voice echoing through the void. "Kaiden, you pass. Out of everyone else, you dealt the most damage."

Kaiden nodded in acknowledgment, his expression unreadable as he accepted the praise.

"Aiden, you also pass," the Inquisitor continued, turning his gaze towards the young hunter. "Your ability to motivate your fellow hunters and lead them to victory is commendable."

Aiden's chest swelled with pride at the recognition, his resolve strengthened by the knowledge that he had played a pivotal role in their success.

"And Riona," the Inquisitor said, his voice softening slightly as he addressed the fierce warrior. "Your support and assistance in battle were invaluable. You helped rally the hunters and ensure their victory."

Riona's eyes shone with pride as she accepted the praise, a sense of satisfaction washing over her at the knowledge that her efforts had not gone unnoticed.

But as the Inquisitor's gaze turned towards the remaining hunters, a sense of unease settled over the group.

"The others do not pass," the Inquisitor declared, his tone final and uncompromising.

Kael, his expression dark with anger, stepped forward to protest, his fists clenched in frustration. "This is unfair!" he exclaimed, his voice laced with bitterness. "We fought just as hard as they did!"

But before Kael could launch an attack, the Inquisitor's voice cut through the tension like a knife.

"I am a ghost," he said, his words sending a shiver down the hunters' spines. "You cannot harm me."

As the hunters recoiled in shock, the Inquisitor explained his decision with chilling clarity.

"You are not good enough," he stated, his voice devoid of emotion. "It is very risky for hunters to pass. And you, Kael, are not worthy enough. Instead of aiding your fellow hunters in their battle against the monsters, you sought to test your strength against them."

A stunned silence fell over the group as they processed the Inquisitor's words, the gravity of his judgment sinking in.

Aiden stepped forward, his voice firm with conviction. "But Kael fought bravely," he insisted, his gaze meeting the Inquisitor's unflinchingly. "He showed strength and determination. Shouldn't that count for something?"

The Inquisitor's expression remained impassive as he regarded Aiden with a steady gaze. "I am never mistaken, young hunter," he replied. "The reason why Kael won't pass is not because he isn't strong enough, but because he isn't worthy enough. Strength alone does not make a hunter. It is their character, their courage, and their willingness to sacrifice for the greater good that truly defines them."

The hunters exchanged uneasy glances, the weight of the Inquisitor's words hanging heavy in the air. And as they prepared to depart from the void, their minds filled with newfound determination to prove themselves worthy of the title of hunter, they knew that their journey was far from over.