12. Aiden's courage: Mantis's defeat

As Aiden squared off against the monstrous mantis, Luca's words echoed in his mind like a mantra, urging him to face his fears head-on.

"I won't fight alongside you, Aiden," Luca had said, his voice firm with resolve. "You must face this challenge alone. It's the only way you'll grow stronger."

With a steely determination burning in his heart, Aiden braced himself for the onslaught, his sword held aloft in a defiant gesture of defiance.

But as the mantis launched itself at him with blinding speed, Aiden found himself struggling to keep up, his movements sluggish and uncoordinated.

Each strike from the creature's razor-sharp limbs sent waves of pain coursing through his body, but Aiden refused to back down, his resolve unyielding in the face of adversity.

"I am a real hunter now," Aiden reminded himself, gritting his teeth against the pain. "I will prove my worth."

Despite his valiant efforts, Aiden soon found himself battered and bloodied, his strength waning with each passing moment.

But even as his vision blurred and his limbs grew heavy with exhaustion, Aiden refused to surrender to despair. With a primal roar, he unleashed a flurry of attacks, his sword slashing through the air with deadly precision.

"Come at me, monster! I am a real hunter now!" Aiden shouted into the darkness, his voice filled with determination.

The mantis recoiled from the onslaught, its chitinous armor cracking under the force of Aiden's assault. But still, it fought on, its relentless determination matched only by Aiden's own.

As the battle raged on, Luca watched from the sidelines, his heart heavy with concern for his young companion. He knew that Aiden was strong, but this monster was unlike any they had faced before.

"I'm sorry, Aiden," Luca murmured, his voice barely audible over the din of battle. "I may have underestimated the strength of this creature. You still have much to learn."

But Aiden paid him no heed, his focus consumed by the primal instinct to survive, to emerge victorious against all odds.

With one final burst of energy, Aiden launched himself at the mantis, his sword gleaming in the dim light as he delivered a series of devastating blows.

"The real world is no place for weaklings," Aiden declared, his voice ringing out with determination.

The mantis faltered, its movements growing sluggish as Aiden pressed his advantage. And then, with a mighty swing of his sword, Aiden landed the finishing blow, the force of his strike cleaving through the creature's exoskeleton with a sickening crunch.

But before Aiden could revel in his victory, the mantis lashed out with one final, desperate attack, its razor-sharp claws aimed directly at Aiden's heart.

Luca sprang into action, his own sword flashing in the darkness as he intercepted the blow, deflecting the mantis's strike with expert precision.

"My sword is my most prized possession," Luca declared, his voice filled with conviction. "With it, I have slain many monsters, and I will not let this one claim another victim."

With a swift and decisive strike, Luca delivered a powerful blow to the mantis's side, causing it to stagger back in pain.

But before Luca could land the finishing blow, Aiden intervened, his own sword flashing in the dim light as he delivered the final, decisive strike.

The mantis let out a deafening screech as Aiden's blade pierced its exoskeleton, delivering a fatal blow that sent it crashing to the ground in a heap.

"Well done, my friend," Luca said, kneeling by Aiden's side. "You fought bravely, and you emerged victorious. This monster has been slain."

Aiden's eyes fluttered closed as darkness claimed him, but he knew that this was only the beginning of his journey. With Luca's guidance and his own unwavering determination, he would continue to grow stronger, one battle at a time.