06.

.
.
.
"So, you're saying I can't leave until I complete the mission?" I queried, frustration lacing my tone."That's correct," Jess replied, her voice steady and unwavering.

I let out a heavy sigh, feeling the weight of my failure weighing heavily upon me. We had been on Skype for hours, debriefing on my botched attempt at apprehending the culprit responsible for framing me.

"I doubt they'd come back for the Mona Lisa again. It's under high security because of the mess you caused last night. You're lucky nobody else saw you," Jess remarked, her tone tinged with exasperation.

I nodded grimly, acknowledging the gravity of the situation. "Yeah, lucky," I muttered under my breath.

"Have you identified the flight attendant?" I inquired, desperate for any lead that could help me unravel the mystery of my framing.

Jess sighed audibly, her frustration evident even through the digital connection. "You'd have to ask Hyein. I had to hand her the case because I'm too busy talking to you," she responded pointedly.

Ignoring her snarky attitude, I glanced around the dimly lit hotel room, taking in the nondescript furnishings and muted color scheme. The room exuded an air of anonymity, mirroring my own sense of invisibility in the face of the larger conspiracy at play.

"Just continue laying low for now. When I get the directions, you'll be the first to know," Jess instructed, her tone softening slightly."Okay," I muttered in response, and we ended the call, leaving me alone in the suffocating silence of the hotel room, my thoughts swirling with unanswered questions and lingering doubts.

As I sat in the stillness of the hotel room, the words "it's about Kate" echoed relentlessly in my mind. A surge of regret washed over me, accompanied by a gnawing curiosity about what vital information the mysterious woman might have shared if I had only listened.

But I quickly dismissed the thought, pushing it aside like an unwelcome intruder. I couldn't afford to dwell on what-ifs or succumb to the temptation of second-guessing myself. After all, the woman's sudden revelation could easily have been nothing more than a desperate attempt to buy time or manipulate me.

Refusing to succumb to the restless urge to distract myself with the flickering glow of the television or the incessant buzz of my phone, I instead chose to embrace the solitude of the moment. The silence enveloped me like a comforting shroud, offering a brief respite from the clamor of the outside world.

I knew that Hyein was likely waiting on the other end of the line, eager to deliver her customary dose of snark and sarcasm. But I had no desire to engage in her banter, especially not when my mind was already cluttered with doubts and uncertainties.

Instead, I focused my attention inward, channeling my energy into quiet reflection and introspection. In the stillness of the room, I found a fleeting sense of peace, a momentary reprieve from the chaos and confusion that surrounded me.

As the hours stretched on, I allowed myself to drift into a state of quiet contemplation, letting go of the need for answers and embracing the uncertainty that lay ahead. In the solitude of the hotel room, I found solace in the simple act of being present, allowing myself to exist in the moment without the burden of expectation or regret.

After dragging myself off the couch, I raided the mini fridge in the corner of the room, snagging a beer. Who said you couldn't enjoy a cold one alone? Then, I dialed up room service and picked something off the menu, probably some snails or pasta—whatever, as long as it filled the void. Beer in hand, I dug into the food, washing it all down with hearty gulps of brew. Yeah, I'm not the prim and proper type. No need to sit like a statue just because I'm alone, right?