12.

.
.
.
I had a perfect aim, targeting the space right between her full brows. She was heaving, her gun aimed directly at my face. We circled each other, a deadly dance, each waiting for the other to make the first move.

"Do it," she said, her voice sharp and demanding.

I didn't.

"Fucking shoot me!" she roared, her frustration palpable.

I tightened my grip on the gun, my aim wavering.

"I can't," I said, my voice betraying my internal struggle.

Her eyes flickered with a mix of fear and something else—uncertainty, perhaps. "We're meant to kill each other. We hate each other," she insisted, her tone almost desperate.

"I don't hate you," I replied, shaking my head. "Not for a second, Kate. I've always loved you."

"Stop," Kate said, her voice cracking.

"We've got to have it out, Kate," I pressed, trying to reach her through the wall of tension between us.

"Stop. It." Her voice was firmer now, her gun still held steady in her hands.

"I've loved you since the moment we met," I said, my words hanging heavy in the air.

"Minji," she faltered, her resolve wavering.

I inhaled deeply and lowered my gun. Her eyes widened in shock, a myriad of emotions flashing across her face as she processed my actions.

For a moment, we were frozen in place, the tension between us almost palpable. My heart pounded in my chest as I watched her process what I'd said.

Kate's grip on her gun tightened before it slackened, her shoulders slumping slightly. "Why now, Minji?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper. "Why tell me now?"

I took a cautious step forward, my hands raised slightly to show I meant no harm. "Because it's true, and I can't keep pretending otherwise," I said. "I don't want to be your enemy, Kate."

Her eyes softened, the cold, steely resolve giving way to something more vulnerable. "This changes nothing," she muttered, though there was no conviction in her voice.

"It changes everything," I countered gently. "We don't have to follow their orders. We can choose our own path."

She let out a bitter laugh. "You think it's that simple? They'll come after us. Both of us."

"I know," I said, taking another step closer. "But I'd rather face them with you than against you."

Kate looked down, her breathing ragged, as she tried to process everything. Slowly, she lowered her gun, the metallic clink as it hit the ground echoing in the warehouse.

Kate stared into my eyes, her gaze burning with a mix of frustration and longing. "I love you too," she admitted, her voice trembling with a vulnerability I'd never seen in her before.

My legs moved on their own, closing the distance between us in an instant. My hands reached for her, and before I knew it, our lips collided in a desperate, passionate kiss. She let me take control, our pent-up emotions erupting in a frenzy of movement.

Our kiss was rough and unrestrained, teeth clashing, and tongues battling for dominance. Years of animosity and unspoken feelings poured out in that moment. I pushed her against the wall, the impact making the picture frames rattle and fall to the floor. Her hands clawed at my back, pulling me closer as if afraid I might disappear.

With a growl, I lifted her, her legs wrapping around my waist. We crashed into a dining table, the wooden surface creaking ominously under our combined weight. Plates and cutlery scattered to the floor, but we paid them no mind. I laid her down, my hands roaming her body, feeling the heat of her skin through her clothes.