CHAPTER 18: to see the sea

"What's this condition of yours, anyway?"

Maria stayed silent for a moment, contemplating over telling her everything or annoying her and saying no.
She didn't know it yet, but words and murmurs had travelled across Monaler a good while ago. Perhaps some reached other kingdoms.

Colderia already annoyed by the lack of cooperation on her side, asked again.
"I asked you a question."

"It's not a condition. I'm not sick. Why do you want to know?" Maria retorted.

"I'm just saying," she shrugged. "It doesn't take a genius to notice a 6-year-old still didn't awaken her gift."

Maria made an annoyed face at her cousin.
"Excuse me? I'm seven, turning eight in three days."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm serious."

"I'm Colderia."

The younger girl rolled her eyes at her cousin's snarky comment as she shifted to the side again, her back facing Colderia. 

After a beat of silence, Colderia's voice made itself known to the air in the room.
"You sure don't have any?" She inquired.

"Why are you so persistent on this? It's not your concern." Maria muttered quietly but loud enough for her to hear.

"It bugs me when I don't know something."

"Good for you."

"Hey..."

"Mhm."

"Tell me,"

Maria abruptly shifted in a sitting motion, glaring at her cousin.

"You're so annoying."

"I know." Colderia shrugged. "Now tell me."

"No. You tell me first."

"About what?"

"Why is the capital city divided from the palace?"  Maria asked, observing as her cousin's face had fallen a bit at her question.

"Atla is a beautiful city," Colderia responded, gazing at her cousin. "Well, most of it." She added.

"You didn't answer me. What did you mean by saying Atla is divided from the palace?"

Colderia took in a deep breath and shifted in her position as if preparing to speak out a big thing.

"Because of some rebellion organization. They want to take the throne and kill us all." She explained a serious look on her face as if punctuating the fact of her words.

"What?"

"Father is suspecting them of the assassination of my grandfather and grandmother,or he's sure about it,  He doesn't speak about that matter to me, but from what I've heard they might have a spy here in the palace, and they also  turned down two cities over, and they might try and start a war." Colderia sighed, running a hand through her black locks. As the only child of her father and because of her young age, she's not supposed to leave the palace nor attend her father's meetings.

"War?"

"It's just the rumours, nothing too serious."

Maria blinked, and her hands rested on her crossed legs, her face twisted in concentration.
She now knew why her mother had told her earlier to not wander off and to be careful.
But from what she felt the second she stepped into Neroliner was the peaceful and calm vibe it gave her. It somehow put her at ease.