Let the Adults Talk

They will blame us, crucify and shame us. We can't help it if we are a problem. We are tryin' hard to get your attention

-The Strokes

-ˋˏ ༻ʚ𓆣ɞ༺ ˎˊ-

-ˋˏ ༻ʚ𓆣ɞ༺ ˎˊ-

Evie's eyes flutter open right as reality comes back to her.

She pushes the blankets off her body to look around the living room. Her heart aches while goosebumps start to linger on her arms. The breath gets stuck in her lungs, but she doesn't scream. That wouldn't help her problem that she's stuck in.

A small tear slides down her cheek. "So this isn't a dream," Evie whimpers to herself. Secretly, she had hoped this fantasy world was only a dream. One of those realistic ones that have you convinced it's real, but it isn't. She is stuck in this world. Her home and family are so far away from her.

"Evie?" Theo rolls over on his bed. His curly hair was wild from sleep. A hand stretches out to pat the nearby table for his glasses. He sits up and puts them on, only to see Evie's frightened look. Theo freezes. "Evie, what happened? Are you alright?"

Evie wipes the tears away and dismisses his concerned question. "I thought maybe this was all fake," she sniffles and brings a blanket up to wipe her tear-stained eyes. She wears the same clothing she came into this world with. It is now filled with holes and dirt. Evie wishes she felt more comfortable.

Theo shifts from his bed to sit with Evie. His arm goes around her shoulders in a side hug. He's not big on physical affection, but he'll do anything to comfort Evie at this moment. They sit quietly, soaking in the feelings of disappointment and depression.

"What are we going to do?" Theo's voice fills the room. Nobody else is awake yet. It's only them, so they could still escape if they wanted to. He doubts anyone would care to find them in this world.

Evie's head raises. Her eyes locked on a painting hung on the wall while she thinks. "We're going to have to trust Cosette," Evie answers. "I think we can. She has helped us already, hasn't she? She also said she would help get another crystal, and that's what we need the most." Evie's fingers twirl around each other while she pieces all their limited options together.

"Yeah," Theo answers, "I guess you're right."

Almost like they had summoned Cosette, she entered their makeshift guest bedroom with a warm smile on her face, and her two twin boys in her arms. The humans jump away from each other, embarrassed they were found in such an intimate state. Cosette and her kids wish them a good morning before telling them that food will be made soon. Evie asks Theo to come with her as she follows Cosette to the kitchen.

-ˋˏ ༻ʚ𓆣ɞ༺ ˎˊ-

"Good news, everybody," Cosette announces while preparing breakfast for her family plus Evie and Theo, "I messaged a friend last night who will be able to help us, and she said she can come and visit later today. She still doesn't know you guys are human, so we will need the costumes done just in case." Cosette then asks them if they are comfortable having someone come over, and Evie tells her it's alright.