Down to Earth, But Still Above You

It still hurts watching him fade away, watching him fade away
Watching him fade away, watching him fade away

-Mac Demarco

-ˋˏ ༻ʚ𓆣ɞ༺ ˎˊ-

-ˋˏ ༻ʚ𓆣ɞ༺ ˎˊ-

"Are you mad?" Evie's small voice calls into Theo's new room. After being escorted to their new rooms, which are similar to a luxurious suite, the humans decided to depart from each other and spend some time alone.

Theo grunts back at her, his voice not seeming too positive when he responds, "No, not at all."

Evie grips the sides of the clothing of her sheep costume. She has tried to remove the ears, but they just won't come off. That's a problem for later, however. Evie feels as though she's been walking on eggshells around Theo ever since they were in the castle prison. Lately, he's been fragile. Not like a flower, but more like a bomb that might go off if you get too close.

Her hand goes to his bedroom door, which is slightly ajar. She can't see where Theo is, but she can hear him doing something further into the room. Evie pushes the door inwards. Her eyes scan the room until she sees Theo tying a bunch of blankets and other cloths together.

"What are you doing?" Evie nervously stands under the door frame. Theo doesn't look up at her. He concentrates on tightly securing the cloths together. It doesn't look like it's working too well.

"I'm getting out of here."

Evie looks at him with a dumbfounded face. Her friend must have lost his mind. "You're going to escape by tying a bunch of blankets together and going out the window? Just like they do in movies? Are you crazy?" Evie hisses. Her concern only grows hotter when Theo rolls his eyes to himself. He tries to speak, but Evie doesn't let him.

"Are you aware that we are about twenty stories up in the air? There is no way we'll survive."

Theo finally looks up from his dumb idea. It's only about ten feet long, anyway. "You don't have to come. At least give me your blankets."

Evie's hand flies to her chest. She grips her shirt, shocked at how selfish Theo could be. She can't let him kill himself by going out that window. Before she could do anything about it, a knock sounded on their front door. The two look at each other before Theo hurries to shove the cloths under his bed while Evie runs to open the door.

Evie gasps in delight when she sees who's on the other side of the door.

"Cosette!"

"Evie, honey, how are you?" The sheep woman pulls the human into a hug. She then spots Theo hovering at a distance. She rushes to hug him too even though he is as stiff as a board.

"We've been better," Theo responds quietly. Both the humans look like they've aged from the amount of stress they've been through. The castle staff is currently working on making them some more clothes, so they've been stuck in their sheep costumes and unable to take a shower.