Chapter 6: Adapting

I do not own any of the Star Wars and DC characters and ideas represented in this work.

It's been a month since Luke and Artoo entered this reality. It's been a month since he helped the Justice League stop the Thanagarians from destroying Earth. It's been a month since the last time he saw Shayera Hol. It's been a month since Superman showed him this island to live in the meantime till he finds his way back home. It's been a month since Dr. Fate hasn't been able to meet Luke, something that worries him day by day.

Luke didn't lose hope, he didn't lose faith in finding his way back home despite the great wait being required. He stayed patient since then, knowing that the League and Dr. Fate had other responsibilities first, Luke understood that fully due to his life as a Jedi.

In the meantime, Luke enjoyed his small secluded island in Mirconseasa the best he could. He explored the island the first few days he came there. The flora of the island had various plant species that ranged from coconut trees to bamboo. While there weren't any large animals on the island, it did have a wide diversity of small reptiles, songbirds, insects, arachnids, and small mammals. Fish was very abundant around the island too, varying from the smallest crustaceans, colorful fish, to the gentle beasts the locals call 'Whale Sharks'.

While the very first days in the hut that was included on the island were fine for Luke. Superman insisted that he, Flash, and J'onn help him build a new home. Luke was reluctant at first, knowing that he would make do but they heavily insisted and Luke couldn't deny their generosity. They built the house deeper into the island next to an area with large rocks and a creek going downhill. The building materials were the same as the hut but with Flash's speed, Luke using his telekinetic powers, and J'onn's and Superman's strength, they finished the foundation and all of the house in a day or so.

Batman eventually came along and decided to donate some money, though it was more equipment than anything else. Batman gave Luke books of Earth's history, high literature, and Earth's various religious texts and books. This was all asked by Luke days earlier to help him understand the Planet he is on. Bruce also gave Luke a teleporter to Help Luke jump to the League easier than using his X-Wing. Clark mentioned earlier that Luke over-using his X-Wing would make the various nations on Earth fearful of an unidentified craft moving about their airspace. Luke understanding this view promised Clark that he wouldn't use the X-Wing unless he had to.

What amazed Luke was the teleporter Bruce gave him on his island. Despite this planet being considered "backwater" by some from his Galaxy, they managed to have something that even his Galaxy struggled to make. Though Bruce stated that the League and maybe some scientific groups have this technology and not the wider planet, it was still an impressive piece of tech.

Luke after Bruce gave him his own teleporter felt somewhat guilty about how Luke was given all of these possessions and not returning the favor. Yes, they all insisted on helping but Luke felt that he was using them. Luke thinks that while some areas of the planet are advanced, the majority at least can be considered primitive by his Galaxy. That's when Luke decided to give the League his return of the favor by giving them a portion of his Bacta reserves in his X-Wings survival kit.

The X-Wing's survival kit came with a bacta reserve container that included a half gallon of bacta juice, which can be applied by either spray or patches. He gave half of his share of bacta to the League since they already can give him medical services on the planet. He gave it to Bruce since he could use it better than anyone else since he said earlier that he owned one of the largest companies on Earth.

Though Luke was more of a mechanic than a doctor or a chemist, Luke explained to Bruce about bacta to his best knowledge. He explained that bacta was created by two compounds, a bacterium called alazhi and a chemical solution called kavam. While kavam was a chemical that they could reverse engineer, alazhi was a form of bacteria from a specific fungus from his Galaxy. That bacteria is crucial to the bacta solution but Luke stated if they were able to make teleportation possible, then they could maybe make a substitute or even replicate the bacterium.

Luke said that bacta can regenerate tissue at a rapid rate. It could heal from minor scrapes to broken bones within hours or a few days. He also said it can be applied by submerging the patient into the fluid, using it in patches, spraying it on the wound, using it in fluid body suits, or just simply applying it. Bruce was obviously skeptical of the miracle medicine but said he'd "Take a look at it". The next day Bruce came back saying he'd be willing to pay Luke for all of his bacta.

Apparently, one of Bruce's researchers and lead businessman of Bruce's company, Lucis Fox, had a team of medical researchers apply a drop a bacta on a set of damaged pig skin in a petri dish and stated it healed within minutes. Fox did say that while they might be able to reverse engineer and apply it within years, he did state that it would revolutionize medicine.

Bruce said that the bacta could be something that would help millions or even billions in the future and that he'd be willing to pay a large sum for the bacta he already has and for some more for research. Luke of course didn't need the money since Jedi don't need it and he doesn't even know how long he'll use it. Luke politely declined, Bruce insisted multiple times and Luke over-politely declined his gift. This happened back and forth that day till Bruce accepted Luke's decline.

Two days later, Bruce with a large ship that had a construction crew, supplies, and equipment came to the island and decided to build a new house over Luke's hut to make his "holiday home". Luke didn't even bother to stop them and let the construction crew build over his somewhat decently hut to a well-built livable house. The house was roughly finished in a week with Bruce stating that he won't be able to use it anytime soon but he'll be fine with Luke living it in for the time being. Luke already knew what Bruce meant and agreed to the little bribe.

It was morning now, the sun was just now up as the orange hit made contact with the blue aura. Luke was on the jagged rocks on the edge of the beach and where the ocean started. He wore nothing but swimming trunks and sandals as he patrolled the rocks for a target. He was looking for his meal, a fish he was able to catch. He spots one of the aquatic fauna swimming not too far from where he's at. Luke slowly approaches the fish so as to not scare it off. Luke notes its blood tint scales shimmered as it guided itself through the water.

He stares at it for a few moments to judge the distance between him and the fish. Thinking he knows the distance, raises his free hand to point at his target to help guide his spear then cocked his weapon away to his back to help build up momentum. He breathes as he lets the Force power the spear to the fish as quickly as possible. The waves crashing and the birds singing their morning songs were the only things heard before Luke threw the spear with a speed equivalent of a bullet. The spear splashes into the water and punches through the fish's head, killing it instantly.

Luke grabbed the spear and picked it up to look at his catch. He notices his catch was a blue spotted goatfish with its blood-tinted belly, whiskers at the edge of its mouth, a yellow body, and blue spots that dotted the fish. Luke was thankful that Bruce happened to drop some hunting and fishing equipment at his house while he was not there. He's also thankful to Bruce a large library that happened to also have multiple books on the fish to catch. Otherwise, Luke would have probably eaten something that wouldn't agree with him days ago.

Luke thinking it's good enough, puts the fish in a container as he makes his way to his house. As he made his way the songbirds continued their morning ritual songs as the sun started to shine. He followed the rock trail that eventually led to the front of his new home.

The home was large compared to his original dwelling. The house had an eggshell color scheme with wooden frames and a great slanted roof. Actual windows were few but the house had multiple screen doors and windows called shoji, which made it easier to vent out air throughout the house. The interior shared the same colors on the outside, white walls with wooden frames and floors. Bruce called the whole architecture style a "Japanese style Zen."

He went through the main room and entered the kitchen. The kitchen itself was made with a large two-door refrigerator, smooth counters and pantries, a large stove, and an oven to compliment the set. Luke fired up the stove as he prepared his breakfast. He got out his necessary ingredients like spices for the fish and eggs for a well-balanced meal.

Bruce also made new accessories on the island that included building a small dock with a small boat that Luke could use. While Luke has been sustaining whatever is on the island, he still needs certain supplies for himself and Artoo so he's been using the boat to make supply trips to the populated island of Pohnpei. Bruce being stubborn also leaves a great sum of money in case of "emergencies" for Luke.

While his breakfast was starting to cook, he made his way through the hallway and entered his room to change into proper clothing. The room was simple like the rest of the house, one large bed, shoji screens, a large closet, and a meditation blanket on the floor. He also had a TV inside of the wall which was connected to the internet provided by Bruce, though Luke ever rarely used it. Flash came around days ago and said "It would be great to watch the Superbowl on it." Luke of course had to research what he meant and it was an annual contest in the American Sport Football.

Luke was never really a sports fan or at least team sports back on Tatooine. He was more interested in Speeder races, especially when he had his T-16. Earth did have vehicle sports like dirt racing but Luke thought it was tame compared to the excitement of going around Beggar's canyon. Seeing some wheeled cars going through the mud or going around a circle doesn't really match up to that.
Luke changes out of his trunks and into his standard black Jedi robe. It was his all black suit but instead of his long-sleeved tunic, he wore his black Jedi top robes. After he got done dressing, Luke went to Artoo's room to check up on him. Artoo's room was filled with storage supplies, various parts both he and Artoo use, and a computer connected to Earth's internet. Artoo was currently charging at his station.

"You good, buddy?" Luke asked.

Artoo awoke from his charging ritual, moved away from his station, and let a group of jovial beeps saying that he had a droid equivalent of a good nap.

Luke smirked, "Alright," he replied, "Just remember we have that meeting with Dr. Fate, we'll leave when Superman shows up."

Artoo acknowledged Luke and then went to his workbench which had various schematics of designs. Artoo pulled out his scomp-link arm and inserted it into a scomp-link converter that was hooked up to the computer.

After the Watchtower's destruction, Bruce had his company secretly construct a new one, planning it to be better and bigger. Artoo offered his help since he had experience interacting with space stations and could help with the designs. While Artoo was a mechanic droid, he still had saved various designs, schematics of different ships, and stations the watchtower could implement in its final designs. Artoo also with his extensive experience of starships, has helped Bruce's engineers with improving the designs on the League's Javelin ships. Luke also has been giving his technical know-how since he and Artoo would be the only ones who would know spacecraft better than anyone else in the League.

They used the previous Javelin design as a base and worked from there. They didn't change too many features of the new design seeing how the prerequisites of the ships need to be space and atmospheric capable. They kept the blade-like shape of the new design while integrating the wings and making the design more compact. Though it won't be fast enough to even rival a X-Wing in space, it'll be faster than Luke's ship in atmospheric operations.

After making sure Artoo was good, Luke made it back to the kitchen and he finished the final preparations of his meal. He started to eat his meal which consisted of fish, eggs, rice, and fruit as he started to think about Earth. Bruce lent him a lot of books to help Luke learn more about the humans on this planet.

The thing that confused Luke was that it was humans on this planet in the first place. Humans from his universe originated from Coruscant, his Galaxy also calling them humans. What further made him think something didn't make sense was they spoke Galactic Basic. Yes, Earth has hundreds of different languages and their version of Galactic Basic is named English, which originated from the British Isles. Out of all of the universes he could have been sent to, he was sent to a planet populated with humans that had a version of basic. It was something that made Luke feel off.

Other than the weird coincidences of the situation, he learned most of Earth's history. Luke with the help of J'onn mostly learned the written form of English after Luke settled down in the house. For the most part, Luke is mostly fluent in terms of writing, though he has some troubles here and there.

Earth for the most part had a standard history. Humans started to form tribes, tribes turned into cities, and cities then turned into civilizations. Religions formed and destroyed, and continent-wide Empires were created, conquered, and collapsed over years or centuries. Now, the world was mostly stable after the devastating global conflict they called World War 2 and the Cold War afterward between the planet's superpowers.

After learning Earth's history, Luke studies most of the planet's religions. He had at least most of the religious texts associated with their institutions, the Bible, Quran, Tora, etc. The two religions that interested Luke are Buddhism and Animism. Buddhism heavily reminded Luke of the Jedi's belief. Buddhists believe in the cycle of Life and death known as Samsara, they pursue inner peace within themselves, believe in pacifism, and believe in enlightenment rather than material needs and wants.

This interested Luke since Buddhism was very much like what the Jedi believed in. Of course, he didn't think Buddhism believed in the Force, not every religion that resembled the Jedi is actually tied to the Force. Still, Luke has been mostly studying Buddha's teachings for a little bit.

Then there was Animism, of course, Animism was a collection of beliefs from various ingenious groups than a broader established religion. Still, the belief is that everything in the world has some sort of soul or essence in it. Animals, plants, land, water, etc. That all of these things are connected by this essence. To Luke, it very reminds him of the various groups in his Galaxy that worshipped the Force rather than an actual advanced belief system.

Luke remembers the time when he felt that darkness in Gotham City and how he deduced it had to be the dark side. J'onn told him some time ago that magic does exist in this universe despite Luke thinking it was the Force originally. It was the dark side, he was for sure, and it was emitting within Gotham. He also felt it was created rather than being made "naturally". Even though this planet has never heard of the Force, at some point, someone must have some knowledge of it. If they didn't then that dark side nexus in Gotham wouldn't exist.

Luke didn't tell Bruce of it seeing how apparently Bruce "claimed" Gotham to be his city, looking down on "Metahumans" to help. The term Metahumans was just a broad term for humans with gifted abilities. By Earth's supposed definition, he was a Metahuman with his powers through the Force. Though Luke considered himself Force-sensitive. J'onn did say Magic users were somewhat different from Metahumans, however, it can still come back around to them being classified as Metahumans.

Bruce also brought various files of the Justice League's exploits and rogues galleries. They fought from the smallest thieves, organized crime, and assassins, to world-invading dictators. One of them was called Darkseid, a fitting name given his reputation. A would-be conqueror of the Universe, Darkseid ruled his empire that would rival Sidiuos's Dark Empire. Fortunately, he was destroyed in an asteroid base, owned by Superman's villain, Brainiac.

While he did study the villain files, what caught Luke's attention was the villain known as Volcana. Her real name was Claire Selton she was born with the power to control fire. Claire was sent to a metahuman research facility at a young age to control her powers but was taken in by the United States Government. She would then go through several experiments and tests throughout her life, they planned to make her into a living weapon. Claire thankfully manages to escape, though without a warped idea of good and evil.

She would go through a crime spree throughout Metropolis until being stopped by Superman. Clark knew she was not in a clear mind and offered her to stay on this island. But relapsed and escaped. Luke couldn't feel anything but pity for Claire. She was probably a scared teenager when the Government took her in and wouldn't be able to have a normal life. Well, at least what she might think.

Luke doesn't blame Clark for the idea, it was either putting her on this island or in prison. But what he could tell from Clark's previous encounters with her, she's in a state where she is thinking that her life of crime is her only chance for a life, that it's the only path for her. She might have had hope in her past that she would want a normal life, a life with friends, loving someone, and starting a family. He doubted she would plan and dreamed of running from the law, being sent to prison, escaping, and repeating this cycle.

Luke thought when he got a chance to encounter her, he might be able to talk with her. He wants to at least talk to her from a different approach, that it's never too late to change, no matter how desperate it seems. That she could still have the life she wanted if she let him help her. No one is far from help, a lesson that his relationship with his father taught him.

After Luke was done with his meal, he put away the plates and proceeded to his meditation area outside. The porch that was on was wooden and had several outside furniture. Luke went to his designated area where he usually does his meditation. Next to it was a flat box space filled with sand. When Luke asked Bruce what was, Bruce replied that it was a Japanese Zen Garden, saying that Luke might like it. Its purpose is to use a rake on the sand and make waves around rocks. Of course, there's more to it than that, it's supposed to help the person meditate and relax.

Luke never really needed such things to help him mediate or to calm himself but found it amusing to say at least. Luke sat on his meditation seat and let the Force flow within. For Luke, this was his life for almost the past month, he would wake up, meditate, exercise, meditate, make or find his food, eat breakfast, and meditate. After his first meal, he would study through the Force or look through his books provided by Bruce. He would find or make his food, eat it, and meditate afterward. In the afternoon, Luke would interchange between practicing the Force or training with his Lightsaber. When Evening came, he would do the same with his previous meals and finish the rest of the day with a meditation session.

This was his life, it was somewhat similar to his life back in his Universe. 20 minutes into his meditation Luke felt his commlink buzz to life.

"Skywalker here," Luke announced

"Hey Luke, it's Superman," Clark replied through the commlink, "Fate is free at noon like he said, I'll come so you can follow me to where he's at."

Luke smiled, "Sounds like a plan, I'll be ready."

"Gotcha, Superman out," the commlink went off.

Luke has been waiting for this day since he got here. Clark told him that Dr.Fate might be able to help. Luke knows there's a possibility that he can't but Luke knows that his Galaxy needs him, his Galaxy needs the Jedi. Luke got up from his meditation stance and called Artoo

"Artoo!" Luke called out to the Astromech droid. Artoo beeped in response. Luke said to his friend in the house, "Fire up the ship!"