Chapter 9: Good Girl

While I was quietly writing down notes in Yuuichi's room, Yuuichi was praising Kyousuke's game. It seems he was very proud of his little brother. Kyousuke looked flustered as he stared at the floor.

"C'mon Nii-san, you should compliment [Name]-san too," he said with a low voice. "She did a lot while I was out."

"Don't worry about me, I don't think I deserve much praise," I smiled modestly at them. "I didn't succeed Ultimate Thunder, unlike you."

"Yeah well, you were close enough."

"I think you both did well," Yuuichi chuckled. He turned his head towards me. "Now that Kyousuke rejoined the team, will you stay as a forward? You might become a benchwarmer."

I continued to write in my notebook. "To be honest, I don't care what- oh." I glanced up at Kyousuke, almost forgetting he's here. I changed my to a positive tone. I had to. "Um, I don't mind what position I'm in. I guess I'm considered an all-rounder."

"I guess I can see that in you," said Kyousuke. He checked the time on his flip phone. He sighed and puts it back in his purple jacket as he stands up from his seat. "Nii-san, I have to head back home. Thanks again [Name]-san, for taking care of him."

"Please, stop thanking me. I'm just doing my job," I smiled at him. He smiled softly back at me and Yuuichi, and left the room.

As soon as he left, my smile dropped. My dull eyes relaxed.

"You know it's only my little brother," Tsurugi spoke up to me in his soothing voice. "He wouldn't mind if he saw the real you."

"Tsurugi, what is the real me?" I questioned him casually yet with dullness as I continued writing in my notebook.

He didn't answer but changed the subject instead with hopeful tone of voice. "Did you at least find what you were looking for, during the match?"

My arms relaxed and dropped to my sides but I held my notebook in my hand, so I can properly talk to him.

Sighing, I shake my head, "No, I did not find it."

Yuuichi's usual soft smile slowly disappeared. "I'm sorry you couldn't find it," he said with sympathy.

"I don't need your pity," I said coldly while walking to the door to deliver the notes to the doctors.

He ignored my reply again. "What will you do now? [Name]?"

I stopped at the doorway to give him a side-eye look. I chose to stay silent. I could feel his sympathetic gaze on me when I left his room.

[Matsukaze Tenma]

I was walking Sasuke near Kasenjiki. I was replaying the game we won today in my head until I spotted [Name] looking ahead at the orange sky in silence. The small gust of wind blew her [hair color] hair. She did look a little bored so I thought I could talk to her.

"Hey [Name]," I ran up to her, which got her attention as she turned towards me, "did you finish your work at the hospital for today? I spoke to Tsurugi a while ago. I'm heading back home now."

[Name]'s eyes brightened up when she blinked a few times before she answered. "Yes."

"I see," I nodded. "Did you enjoy your first game? It was so fun, right!?"