Chapter Nine - Sparks Fly

Note: Have you seen the interview of FB with Woody? The way Becky courageously told Freen that she wants their old selves back and that she misses the way it was before where they always do things together, and Freen who got teary-eyes. I freaking love these two, I'm in tears. 🥹

--

The way you move is like a full on rainstorm

And I'm a house of cards

You're the kind of reckless

That should send me running

But I kinda know that I won't get far

And you stood there in front of me

Just close enough to touch

Close enough to hope you couldn't see

What I was thinking of

Drop everything now

Meet me in the pouring rain Kiss me on the sidewalk

Take away the pain

'Cause I see sparks fly whenever you smile

Get me with those green eyes, baby

As the lights go down

Give me something that'll haunt me when you're not around '

Cause I see sparks fly whenever you smile

-

"Looking back on it now, do you think that you were meant to meet then? Like it was fate?"

Laughing, Becca shook her head, amusement flickering in her green eyes.

"No, no. Nothing of the sort. I was just... I was going through a rough patch. Love had essentially been ruined by me by my ex--"

"Who you still haven't named."

Pausing for a moment, Becca's eyes widened as she froze before a slow smile spread across her face.

"Ah. I suppose I didn't. Addie Johansonn."

"The singer?"

"The very same."

"She's much older than you," Mei said an incredulous look on her face.

Giving her a bitter smile, Becca nodded. She'd written a song about everything that had been wrong with that relationship.

How her mind had been messed with, how she'd been drained by the constant games, how her mother had worried about her and how she'd been so naive that she'd ignored the whispered rumours that followed Addie and all of her exes.

In hindsight, it was all so obvious, and Becca had wished she was able to pass on the warning.

She'd been lucky to get out of that relationship before it had turned into anything serious, although now, after years of reflection, she doubted Addie was the kind of person to never let anything get serious with another person.

Everything about that relationship had been wrong.

"Well... let's just say there was a lot that was wrong with that, the age difference the least of them. It took me some time to get over that, and then there was a period of about eight or nine months where I just... I lost that magic. You know that rosy-coloured idea of love? I realised that it wasn't all a fairy tale or straight out of a movie, and it took meeting Freen to accept that."

"Oh. She didn't bring back that magic?"

Blushing slightly, feeling like the young woman she'd been back then, barely twenty years old and enamoured by Freen and everything she'd brought, Becca let out a soft laugh.