Chapter-45: More Than Nostalgia.

Abhira sat silently on the bed in Akshara's room as she nervously folded and unfolded her fingers. She did indeed ask for smokeless fuel for the campfire, how did it end up becoming a regular gasoline? How can she possibly tell the difference between regular and smokeless fuel? Of course, she knew of Ranav's heart condition, which is why she didn't use the kerosene in the house, but she had no idea about pyrophobia. She wished she had a chance to say this earlier but with how angry Abhimanyu looked, she could barely form any words. Why would she make all these arrangements to hurt her brother? Instead, she wants to treat him better to make up for her harsh words when they were kids.

"Are you okay, Beta?" Akshara asks placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Ah, I am fine. I always do random stuff and get scolded for it. I got used to it." Abhira tries to laugh it off but all she manages is a hiccup.

"Please don't take Abhimanyu's words to your heart. Abhimanyu is very protective of Ranav. Please don't keep any hard feelings towards him." Abhira looked at Akshara, the woman she was once angry at for hiding the truth of her birth from her, and wondered how she was lucky enough to stumble upon people who never once differentiated between her and their own son.

"Why would I feel bad? Ranav Bhayya supported me, Akshu Ma. Nothing else matters." Akshara smiles. Akshara has long predicted that Ranav cares for Abhira and vice versa, but it was never her task to bring them together, not when they need time and space to do the same.

"Are you happy that he stood by you?"

"Over the moon!" Abhira says as a wide smile spreads across her face.

***

"What the hell, Ranav?!" Ruhi came barging into Ranav's room right after he did, clearly not done with the drama. "How could you talk to Poppy like that?"

"Ruhi, I know you are angry and that I was rude back there. I will apologize to Docman tomorrow so leave me alone today."

"Leave you alone. I would've left it alone if it weren't for disrespect just a few minutes ago. You talked to Poppy like that and for what? To support that girl?! What's her name, Abhira? Is she worth the pain you just caused to Poppy?"

"Ruhi, That girl is my sister."

"Oh, really? How is she your sister? How is she related to you? Why don't you get it Ranav? She's an outsider. Yes, she was a pitiful orphan and Akshu Masi took her in which is a great act. Akshu Masi is generous enough to adopt her and you are generous enough to accept her, but that doesn't make her your priority over Poppy. Poppy is your biological father-"

"And not yours," Ranav says before he can stop himself. He closed his eyes in regret, thinking of ways to correct himself. "I understand Docman means a lot to you, but as you said, he is my biological father. What happens between us is limited to our relationship. You don't need to be involved in this, Ruhi. I said I would say sorry."

"Yeah, you will apologise and Poppy also will forgive you because he can never hold you responsible for any of your unreasonably childish acts. Why? Because you are his golden boy, his biological son. But what I don't get is why you are still so loved by him when you can't value his love."

It is because I don't value it that you still get to have your Poppy for yourself, Ranav wanted to say but held himself in.

"I value him more than you think, Ruhi. It's because he is my father that I stopped him from doing or saying something he would later regret. It is my responsibility to protect my sister and my father. It is not love if you let your loved ones take the wrong path. It says a lot about you that you came here to rant instead of staying by his side. What is more important to you, Ruhi? Being by his side or winning over me?" Ruhi looked on at Ranav as anger only seemed to increase in her. Despite how badly she wants to continue this argument, she feels this argument is pointless and leaves as she stomps out of the room.