Chapter 3~ Curly Hair Crusts

When I woke up late the next morning, it took a moment for last night's occurrences to hit me. When they did, it took all my will power not to groan.

Noah's words flashed through my mind; 'See you tomorrow, Cupid.'

We hadn't made plans to meet today... did that mean I could expect another spontaneous 3am visit? I sincerely hoped not. With a sigh I rolled out of bed and plodded downstairs in my Cookie Monster pyjamas, stopping only to peer into my dad's room and double check that he'd gone to work. The queen sized bed was left unmade and the curtains were open, basking the room in warm golden light.

I was used to my dad being gone often. With only his income to support us, he took whatever late night calls and weekend work he could to keep us afloat. He was a youth recovery centre worker, and though I knew that it wasn't a highly-paid job, I also knew that he did what he did because he loved it.

"What are you doing?"

I screamed.

Whirling around with my hands clenched into fists, I let out a war cry as I prepared to slam my knuckles into the intruder's face.

The intruder backed away, his arms flying up instinctively to shield his head, and it was only then that I got a glimpse of his face.

"Noah?!" I yelled, breathing as quickly as if I'd been running a race. Noah stood in front of me looking a mixture of bewildered, scared and amused as he tried not to laugh.

"What the hell are you doing in my house? Again?!" I shrieked, lowering my arms which were still in front of me defensively.

"What were you going to do to me? Punch me?" He chuckled and leant against the door for support as he laughed. He clutched his stomach, as if he couldn't think of anything more absurd than me trying to hit him.

I watched coldly as he tried to compose himself.

"How did you even get in here?"

"I knocked but no one answered and the door was unlocked so..."

"So you just let yourself in?"

"Yep."

"Breaking and entering is a crime, you know." I told him, pushing past him to walk downstairs.

He grinned. "I didn't break in, you're the one who left the door open."

"But still! You can't just--" I sighed and raked my hands through my dark curls. "You know what," I said calmly, forcing myself to smile, "it's fine. Whatever." I spoke through gritted teeth, and I could see Noah trying desperately not to laugh again. I ignored him as I continued down the stairs and into the kitchen, shoving a piece of bread into the toaster and purposely not asking Noah if he wanted anything. If he was going to break into my house (for the second time) then he could get his own breakfast, dammit.

"So, I was thinking we should come up with a plan, you know. Kinda like a step-by-step guide of how I'm going to approach Sabrina." Noah told me as he flopped down on the sofa and flicked on the TV. "Hey it's your mom's show!"

I scowled and turned back to the toaster as Noah watched Cupid, and my mother's voice was all I could hear as I buttered the bread.

"You know," Noah yelled to me over his shoulder, "it's probably not a bad idea to watch your mom's show and get some pointers."

I tried as best I could not to scoff. There was no chance in hell I was watching my mother's show. I waited for him to change the channel, but he seemed perfectly content to veg out and watch, so instead I had to sit down in the armchair and munch angrily on my breakfast. I stared at my mom's pretty features as she smiled and walked around her New York apartment, talking on the phone to a client.