Chapter 17~ Cheshire Cat on Crack

^ Issy's beach outfit above^

"What about this one?" Sam asked, holding up a black blouse for Kiely and I to inspect. I wrinkled my nose.

"It looks like something a hooker would wear." I groaned, flopping down onto the bed and burying my face into the pillows.

"I'm going to pretend that you didn't just call my favorite shirt slutty." Sam informed me with narrowed eyes, turning back to the closet and continuing to sift through the clothes.

We'd spent the past hour searching for something that I could wear to this stupid beach party tonight, but given that I'd never been to a beach party before, I had no idea what the appropriate attire was.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and sent Noah a quick message asking him what girls usually wore to these things, but when he replied with 'nothing. It's a nude beach ;)' I rolled my eyes and turned my phone off.

"Will you stop smirking at your phone like a freaking cheshire cat on crack and come and try this on?" Sam snapped at me impatiently, and from the corner of my eye I spotted Kiely holding back a laugh. Sam flung a pile of clothes at me and pointed towards the bathroom, tapping her foot impatiently on the floor.

"Geez, someone's moody." I grumbled, earning myself a chuckle from Kiely.

I marched into the bathroom and stared at the outfit Sam had picked out-- a pair of denim high-waisted shorts and a lacy cream top that screamed 'boho'. She'd also loaned me a dark red bikini to wear underneath, like I was actually going to swim. With a sigh I undressed and pulled the bikini and the clothes on, ruffling my dark hair in the mirror afterwards.

"Well, what do you think?" I asked as I pushed the bathroom door open. Sam and Kiely's jaws dropped, and I raised an eyebrow expectantly. "What's wrong? Do I look that ridiculous?" I asked, preparing myself to go back into the bathroom and get changed.

"No! You look good! Like, really good!" Kiely grinned, offering Sam a high five. I sighed in relief as Sam nodded in agreement.

"Really?"

"Really, girl. Now go get em tiger."

I grinned and thanked Sam and Kiely before making my way out of the front door and onto the sidewalk. It was only a fifteen minute walk to Short Beach, where the party was, and the air was warm as the sun started to set, tinting the sky pink and orange. I knew I was close when the thud thud thud of the base could be felt beneath my feet and the smell of bonfire smoke hung thickly in the air. As I pushed my way through a bunch of college kids who were dancing and drinking and laughing, it suddenly hit me that I had no idea who anyone was and no idea where Noah was.

"Wanna drink?" A guy wearing only a beach towel yelled at me, offering me a red solo cup. I shook my head quickly and moved out of his way until I was on the brink of the ocean. I pulled my shoes off so that I could dip my toes in the water, but quickly turned away when I saw a naked couple making out in the waves.

Ew. Get a room.

"Cupid?"

I sighed in relief at the sound of Noah's voice, but my relief froze in my body when I saw that he was walking towards me with Sabrina and JC in tow.

"Hi." He greeted me, leaning forward to kiss my forehead.

"Hi." I smiled, and then averted my gaze to Sabrina. What was I meant to say to her? I was Noah's fake girlfriend now, which meant that I should... hate Sabrina because she was the psycho ex? Or be the bigger person and be nice to her? I quickly decided on the latter. It was definitely better to kill people with kindness sometimes, even if you were just patronizing them.