Sarah

I finally made it to San Francisco. Terry brought me. I will always be grateful to her, but our friendship will never change. As I made it to the Greyhound bus station to board my first bus to the first state, which was Mississippi, which I haven't been back to since I was 6 years old, we stayed with family there.

I didn't like it because so much sh*t happened that I never talked about it, like one time when my mom and dad were working. I was being watched by one of their friends, and he tried touching me, but it happened again, because when I told momma when she got home, she told my dad, and he beat the living shit out of him, and we left that day and we never looked back. I fell asleep at the few stops we did stop at, but thankfully it wasn't somewhere I needed to get off at. But then, before I knew it, I was in downtown San Francisco. It was so big and so beautiful, and it's unique.

The moment I got here, I knew I was never going to leave. My only dream was to become the best sports writer in the industry, but before I could even get that far, I knew I needed to get a job and a place to live. I knew that wasn't going to be the easiest thing I could do, but I knew I had to. So I ended up staying at the cheapest hotel in San Francisco. I just couldn't wait to rest and start the rest of my life in this place. I had hoped that the thoughts from my past would stay hidden; those things weren't something I ever wanted to revisit.

As I picked up my phone and dialed Terry's number, it took three rings, and by the fourth, hello? Hey Terry Sarah wanted to let you know I finally made it, and I got myself checked into a hotel. Well, Sarah took you long enough to make it. I initially believed a mass murderer had kidnapped you. Very funny, Terry. Well, Sarah, I was just stating the facts. Well, hopefully things will start looking up for me. You know I had to get out of there, right, Terry? Well, of course I do.

I just wish it hadn't gone down the way it had because now we won't be with each other for the fall semester. I know I'm sorry, Terry, but maybe someday that will change. I just needed to do what was best for me. You will always be a good constant in my life, and nothing will ever change that. I know Sarah just really stinks. Sarah, Do you remember that hockey player, Tyler Davidson-the one we kept seeing all over the news channel? Yeah, but what about him?

Well, I heard he was going to be in San Francisco. Not sure for what, though. Well, you know me. Terry, I don't want any boy distractions, and that man would be a huge distraction for me in my time of trying to put myself and other things back into perspective, and if I'm being honest, that isn't something I'm interested in right now. Well, I was just saying, if you happen to meet him, please get me his autograph. I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm sorry to cut this chitchat short, but I'm exhausted, so I'll talk to you later.

Well, goodnight, Sarah. I will be coming to visit in a few weeks, so make sure you know we will be going out. As we hung up, I was left with my most fucked-up thoughts that I can't even begin to think about, so I decided that after a good night's sleep, I would be going to the first few places to look for work and to get myself on track. The next morning, I woke up to the worst headache I have ever had in my entire life. However, as I made my way to The Brew Box, a charming little cafe on the corner, I was pleasantly surprised. It was very elegant, with red tables with an old-time feel.

As I made it to the front of the line, I ordered an iced caramel frappe, and as I made my way to the front door, I bumped into a very hard masculine figure as I turned around and looked up into his gorgeous baby blue eyes. I'm so sorry. I'm such a klutz. No problem. A beautiful woman such as yourself has the ability to flirt with me at any moment, followed by a wink. It seems like I owe you a new frappe. No, that's okay. Well, at least let me take you to dinner, then. Well, considering I don't even know your name and I just moved here, I don't think that would be a very good idea.

He glances at me. My name is Tyler, and as he extends his hand for me to take it, he says, "Tyler Davidson." For a moment, I was dumbfounded and lost for words, and as he brings me back to reality, as he says, you are. I'm sorry, my name is Sarah Smallwood. Well, Sarah, it was good to meet you. As I proceeded to walk out of the cafe, Sarah, as I turned around, I wasn't joking when I asked you to dinner. Well, Tyler, I'll have to think about it. I gave him the cheesiest of smiles as I walked away into the cool air.