02: IT'S A (GOOD) TRIP

002: it's a (good) trip

DAY 1.5

     DAKOTA ADLER RUSHES to the computer lab before anyone can spot her and the rest of Maroon Socks. "Coach!" Dakota squeaks, hiding behind a wall, pushing Arthur Bradley and Elijah Van Owen against it too.

     "What are you guys doing?" Fiona Pastelle softly asks. They turn to look at her, to see her clutching the handle of the back door of the computer lab. Fiona tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, nervous by the gaze they have on her. "There's a door here." Dakota grits her teeth, leaning over and smacking Elijah.

     "See! I told you!" Dakota hisses, walking past the boys to Fiona. Fiona licks her lips, and takes a step back when Dakota reaches the door. Dakota pushes open the door to be greeted by the cool air fanning her. It's the hottest day of the year and the gym was crowded - without any air conditioning switched on.

     Walking over to a computer, she switches it on. Typing in the student account password, she launched Microsoft Word. "What font?" Dakota asks, once the boys walk in, and close the door.

     Elijah shrugs, shoving his hands in his pockets, leaning against one of the tables. "Does it really matter?"

     Dakota gives him a blunt look, "Of course it does! Have you seen most of the people out there? Have you seen Annalise Brown's caravan? She's turned it into fucking Hello Kitty!"

     "Hello Kitty? How is Hello Kitty good?" Arthur asks, taking a seat next to Dakota. Dakota laughs at him, typing away onto the computer. "A3. And, seriously. . ."

     "Well, I know it's Hello Kitty but at least she's turned it into something," Dakota says, shrugging her shoulders. She types the words 'Maroon Socks' in bold, pressing the print button on the top right.

     "I'll get it," Fiona says, walking to the printer. She frowns at the plain paper with block bold letters on it. She doesn't further comment on its blandness. Fiona walks to Elijah, her flats clinking against the concrete ground. "Should we get going?"

     "You guys!" Calvin Hallman rushes through the door. "What's taking you so long? Everyone's getting ready to leave!"

     The four teenagers give one another panic glances, before breaking out into a sprint. All five of them push past each other to rush to the caravan. "Okay, stop! one of is going to fall!" Arthur says, thinking logically. "Let's speed walk to the caravan."

     "Seriously, Arthur, we really don't have time!" Dakota says, motioning her hands for them to go. "We need to get going."

     "I agree with her," Fiona gulps, uttering those words in a small voice.

     "Let's go!" Elijah says, pushing Fiona and Calvin a bit to make them run. The three of them take off, leaving Arthur and Dakota behind. Arthur licks his lips, staring at the ground.

     "Why are you taking it so seriously?" Dakota asks, crossing her arms over her chest. When he doesn't reply, she rolls her eyes. Walking to him, she grips his shoulders. "This is turning from rushing to deep real quick. Now, we got to go, OK? Otherwise we lose. And I'm sure no one likes to lose. And life's all about taking risks." Arthur bites the inside of his cheek, nodding. "Good," Dakota smiles, letting go off him, and running. "Come on, Arthur!" Arthur shakes his head, speeding down the hallway, to take a sharp turn.

     As he makes his turn, he sees Dakota rushing to a fallen Calvin. Elijah and Fiona are already helping him up. Arthur walks to them, rolling his eyes. "I told you running was a bad idea!" He looks at Dakota, giving her a knowing look. She gives him a sheepish smile.