20: MOVING ON (PHYSICALLY)

020: moving on (physically)

DAY 8.50

Arthur yawns as he wakes up from a very peaceful slumber. Later in the night, he'd climbed out of Dakota's bed and returned to his own to prevent anyone catching them. He sits up right, pressing the heels of his palms to his shut eyes. After stretching his arms out in front of him, he gets up, walking around the room. He adjusts his sweatpants on his hips before going out the room. He goes down the stairs and enters the kitchen.

Calvin and Elijah were leaning their heads against the counters, mumbling to create a conversation.

Arthur almost laughs as he pours coffee for himself and settles beside Elijah. Regarding the events early this morning, Arthur asks Elijah, "You alright, bud?"

Calvin chuckles and Elijah groans, then nods. "Sorry for keeping you all awake," Elijah mumbles, sighing. Calvin stretches the arm under his head and uses it to tap Elijah's head as a gesture of 'it is okay'. Arthur blinks his eyes and then tells them all to sit outside. The bright sun ought to help them wake up. The two boy grunt and follow. Before doing so, they grab breakfast which is mostly strawberry yoghurt and granola.

The sun's shining brightly, soaking their bodies into pure heat. Calvin sits at the head of the table, plopping himself onto a single person couch. Arthur does the same on the opposite side. Elijah settles onto the sofa on the width of the table, reaching over and grabbing berries out of his bowl. Popping them into his mouth, he squints and looks up at the sun. "We're meant to leave today, so, that's happening."

Calvin hums, then saying, "Well, I gotta admit, I had fun."

"Of course you did. You and Brooke disappeared for god knows how long," Elijah smirk, sipping on his coffee.

Calvin ignores it, instead asking, "Where are the girls anyway?"

Arthur shakes his head. He fiddles in his seat, feeling something hard pressed against the back of his leg. He lifts it up to discover a pack of cigarettes lying with a lighter. Shrugging, he pulls one out. He felt great back at the river bank with Brooke. Mostly, it was a neurological thing but it felt amazing nevertheless. Lighting it, he brings the stick to his lips, taking a long smoke out of it. Elijah and Calvin groan, complaining about the smell and how injurious it is. It's so heated that Calvin leans over, takes it from Arthur and stomps on it.

Arthur complains and goes for another one. Just as he's about to light it, the front door is heard opening and chatters fill the cottage. The girls are giggling as they roam around the house, packing things up. They notice the boys sitting outside. The girls come out, all greeting the boys with a smiley 'good morning'.

"Where'd you guys run off to?" Calvin asks, tilting his head back and reaching out to grab Brooke's hand.

Brooke's heart picks up instantly. So does Calvin's. The simple touch is enough to make butterflies fill their bodies and fire ignite their bones. It's simple but sweet.

After managing to find her voice, Brooke replies, "We'd just gone to buy a few things for ourselves." Her voice is so small that only Calvin was able to hear her. Although it was barely audible, it makes Calvin feel special. As if grocery shopping was their secret talk.

Fiona cuts the tension between the pair by stealing a few berries from Elijah's bowl and then throwing herself onto the space beside Calvin. She laughs, kicking her feet to rest onto the table. Fiona leans her head against Calvin's shoulder, then asking, "You guys sleep so much. It's time to leave and you haven't showered yet."

Dakota, who's been leaning against the frame of the sliding doors, blushes, feeling partly at fault for Arthur's long slumber. Arthur takes a peak at her. When he sees her red coated cheeks he knows that she remembers everything that happened between them.