CHAPTER TWELVE: READY TO RUN

After almost an hour of getting ready, they were on their way to their unplanned road trip. Zayn took the driver's seat of her new white Mercedes, as she hadn't obtained her license yet.

His objective for the day was clear: to bring her joy, to divert her attention from those troubling thoughts. However, he couldn't shake the feeling that their destination might not provide the relief she needed.

"At least she won't be thinking of Liam," he thought.

"Where are we going?" Hayden asked.

"Somewhere you'll appreciate," he said quietly.

As they drove along the open road, Zayn stole glances at Hayden, hoping to see a glimpse of the happiness he wanted to bring her. noting the subtle shift in her demeanor. Though her thoughts seemed heavy, he could see glimpses of her usual spark beneath the surface.

The scenery passed by in a blur, but Zayn's thoughts were fixed on Hayden, his heart heavy with the knowledge of her pain. He wished he could erase her sorrow with a simple gesture, but he knew healing took time.

Zayn kept the atmosphere light, engaging her in conversation about anything and everything. He shared anecdotes, cracked jokes, and even played her favorite music, all in an effort to brighten her mood.

***

After a few more minutes of driving, they finally arrived at their destination. Zayn parked the car in a secluded area nearby and turned off the engine. The silence of the surroundings enveloped them as they stepped out of the car. Hayden looked around, taking in her surroundings with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. She glanced around, taking in the solemn surroundings with a furrowed brow. They were in a cemetery.

The air was heavy with the scent of freshly cut grass and the distant sound of leaves rustling in the breeze. Tombstones dotted the landscape, standing solemn and silent beneath the overcast sky.

Zayn observed her quietly, his own expression a mix of concern and determination. He took her hand in his, offering a reassuring squeeze as they began to walk through the somber landscape.

She glanced at him, silently questioning their purpose in being there.

Zayn met her gaze with a small, understanding smile, his eyes reflecting a depth of emotion that Hayden couldn't quite decipher. He guided her forward with gentle determination, leading her towards a specific spot in the cemetery.

Finally, they reached a cluster of gravestones that stood in silent tribute to those who had passed. Zayn stopped, his expression gentle yet resolute as he turned to face Hayden.

She looked at him, her confusion evident in her eyes as she waited for an explanation. he took a deep breath, his voice soft as he spoke.

"It's not a happy surprise, but... yeah..."

"Oh my God," A sharp intake of breath escaped Hayden as realization washed over her. Tears welled up in her eyes as she stumbled forward, drawn to the familiar names etched in stone. 

"I just thought, given the situation, I know you need them right now," Zayn said softly.

Her heart clenched with a mix of sorrow and longing as memories flooded her mind. With a hesitant hand, she reached out to touch the cool surface of the gravestone, tracing the familiar letters of her parents' names with trembling fingers.

Zayn stood beside her, his presence a comforting anchor in the midst of her grief. He said nothing, allowing Hayden the space to process her emotions in her own time.