v.

chapter five,

                                                It took only a few weeks at most for King Viserys to put aside mourning his wife in order to please the Realm and his court who were desperate for a son

                     It took only a few weeks at most for King Viserys to put aside mourning his wife in order to please the Realm and his court who were desperate for a son. This angered Daenys slightly. The court and the Realm had no right to push her father so soon after the death of his wife and son to remarry. Yet, her father had no backbone to him most days. He was the King, Daenys did not understand why he just didn't deny the people for just a while longer.

In the weeks of her father being surrounded by women, Daenys found comfort in Princess Rhaenys. Her emotions had been all over the place, and whenever she would see her father walking next to a woman, all she could see was her mother. So, in a mess of tears, Daenys had ran to her chambers. But when she stormed in, she most certainly was not expecting the Queen Who Never Was to be standing in front of her window.

The woman had sat Daenys down on her couch, her hands holding her own, as she comforted her about her mother. Daenys knew that her mother and Rhaenys were friends, and had even heard of how Aemma had comforted Rhaenys after her husband had become the chosen heir. But, Daenys didn't realise how close the two women actually were. Though, as she listened to Rhaenys fondly tell the stories of her youth shared with Aemma, it made her realize that there was more to Aemma than just a Queen like the Realm thought her to be──she was a wife, a mother, and a friend.

That day, after comforting each other, Rhaenys promised that if Daenys ever need anything, that her and Driftmark will be waiting for her with their arms open. Daenys thanked her, grateful beyond words. The young princess had admired the woman greatly, and that admiration only continued to blossom as time passed.

Unlike Rhaenyra, who often refused to speak of their mother, in fear of it causing her to break, Daenys thrived on reminiscing the memory of her mother. Her soul may have passed, but it is her memory that lives on, and Daenys does not let a day pass where she doesn't think of her mother. She would like this, my mother hated this, she would be so proud... A time will come when all she will have left of her mother is memories, because one day, the image of her mother will begin to slowly disappear, until all that is left is a blurry face. And when that time comes, will be when she truly grieves.