viii.

chapter eight,

                      It had been a few days since the incident at Dragonstone, and the conversation held between the King and his daughters

                      It had been a few days since the incident at Dragonstone, and the conversation held between the King and his daughters. And since then, everything had been... pleasant.

The girls and Alicent were seeing each other more often now, as Alicent had began to stop avoiding them. Daenys and Aelora were now exchanging letters more often with the good news that Aelora's brother was finally getting better. Which meant, hopefully, Aelora will be able to return to the Keep and most importantly to Daenys. Rhaenyra and Daenys were flying together more often now, a minimum of once a day, and the girls are now on speaking terms with their father.

Life was finally getting back on track for Daenys. And, she could finally see herself beginning to return to her old self.

But, Daenys had hoped for too much. And this happy life that was being built, was not permanent ── and it all broke with one announcement.

Upon entering the room, their eyes connected with the eyes of Alicent Hightower, who stood next to her father, Otto. What an unusual sight, Daenys thought. But the girl could not think about it too much as her father began.

"Good morrow, my Lords," Even as he began to speak, Daenys looked at Alicent curiously. But ever since they had both entered, she had avoided looking at them. "I... I have decided to take a new wife." He looked to his daughters, seeking out their encouragement. With a nod from them both, he continued. "I intend to marry... the Lady Alicent Hightower before spring's end."

Silence. Pure, dead silence.

The encouraging look that Daenys wore slowly left, being replaced with a look of disgust. Disgust? Anger? Betrayal? Pity?

Alicent Hightower was one of the Princesses' close friends. They had known her since they were children, with the Hightower girl being just a few years older. And yet, they had all clicked instantly ── confiding in each other, teasing each other, helping each other ── they had all became family in such a short time. The line between friend and family blurred, and Daenys had seen Alicent as another big sister. And now, she was supposed to call one of her dearest friends Stepmother.