vii.

chapter seven,

                                               Daenys and Rhaenys walked side by side in the gardens, before they slowed to a stop where they could overlook some of the Kingdom

"How do you do it?" The young girl questioned, looking up to her senior. The woman hummed, confused at the question. "Give your young daughter to the King? Younger than his youngest?"

"Laena is born from the last two Valyrian Houses, she is the strongest match for your father. She has all right to be his wife."

"She is a child! She should not be getting married off─"

Rhaenys answered her quietly, eyes avoidant. "She will not have to bed him until she is fourteen."

This did not help Daenys feel better at all. She couldn't bare to imagine sweet Laena, pregnant when she will be her own age. She had seen all sorts of women throw themselves to her father, being offered to him by their fathers. But one that pained her the most was that of Laena Velaryon ── perhaps the youngest of them all, and the one Daenys knew quite well. And one she loved very much so.

"How do you know that?" Daenys questioned once more. But Daenys could see the look on Rhaenys face. Although the woman was good at keeping her face neutral, Daenys was no fool. And no matter how much one could try, no one's eyes could lie. "It pains you, doesn't it? Giving your daughter away."

Rhaenys was quiet. Until she spoke finally, "It is the order of things."

"It shouldn't have to be," Daenys urged. "It's only the order of things because people stick to them. If you disagree with them, why stick to them? Can't you tell your husband, he would surely listen to you─"

"He is confident in the idea that Laena will be chosen,"

"You are the Princess! If you just─"

"I am a woman!" Rhaenys finally turned to the girl, her brows furrowed. "You may be too young to understand this, girl, but there is some things that not even women of our status can change or prevent. You will have to learn to accept that."