Chapter 1: The King's Thoughts and His Interaction with Horikita

Kiyotaka's POV

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
This quote was by Leo Tolstoy, a master of realistic fiction and one of the great novelists of all time.
The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.
This quote was said by Albert Einstein, the man who is well known for his theory of general relativity.
There are many such well known quotes around the world. But looking at these quotes, I can't help but think. Do people really change? If yes, how do you think so? If no, why not?
People naturally want to change for the better. Including myself too. There are those who deny this fact and say that they don't need it as they are already better. There are also those who yearn for change and want to become better, they do this by reading some great books or by other influences.
As a result, many people constantly strive to change but fail to do so. As they either lack the motivation to do so or they are just plain lazy and idiotic, I say.
But still, they are labelled under the 'average category' or so they call it. Nowadays, some idiots across the world say that they changed or something, even when it is a minor one or sometimes, not even present.
But is that true, I wonder.
I believe that changes can be classified into either be really good or just plain bad or sometimes not even present.
Many people boast that they have changed for the better or worse when sometimes, they haven't even changed the bare minimum. No matter what polite terms they use for it. They are still stupid.
So, my answer would be, No people do not change that easily. Even though they say they can. No, it isn't possible. Unless an external influence is used.
Truth be told, people don't change that easily no matter what word they use to sugarcoat it.
So like that most of the people surrounding me on the bus are probably- no surely pretty standard or average -in their personality and growth. But there maybe certain people here good on certain aspects, like the woman who just stood up to give up her to seat to an old lady who was struggling to stand. Like the beige-haired girl there even though who didn't have an obligation to stand up and request everyone to give up their seat for the old woman, still did so.
But others wore guilty and grim faces while she was doing so, as they didn't want to give up their seat either.
They were just selfish in their needs and didn't want to stand for that and give up their seat.
Afterall, most humans are like that selfish and cruel to the core while pretending to be nice on the outside. This may vary from person to person depending on themselves. For example, that beige-haired girl over there, She seems to be pretending to be nice for some reason and loves getting attention out of it.
How do I know? You may ask.
Well because of my excellent observational abilities, I saw that she just hid her expression just before preparing herself to perform the show. Before doing that, I noticed that she had a slight frown on her face and her eyes were a bit dark. Her actions also indicated that she was preparing herself for something big. That being this request of her's to everyone on the bus.
She likely got what she wanted here, that being the most of the people here thinking that 'She must be a nice soul' 'An angel sent from heaven' or some crap like that. And I unfortunately do not fall under that category of her's. She must be enjoying the attention on the inside I guess.
I can see that she put up a mask for herself to act like a kind person on the outside while being the exact opposite on the inside. She craves attention I see. An attention-seeker huh?
That blonde guy over there who has pretty good muscles and looks pretty strong is a perfect example of a narcissist who thinks he is the best and all, thinking that he cannot afford to spend even a little energy on her or something. He was arguing with that woman over there.
I sighed. A commotion on the bus because of him.
I can see that he has a lot of arrogance over himself. He must have a lot of pride in his abilities to be like that.
But can he really back them up? Not too sure. I must wait and see I guess.
Next, the black haired girl on the other side of the bus, but next to me. She also had an emotionless expression on her face which is pretty cold. She is reading a book it seems.
'Crime and Punishment' huh? An interesting book that debates whether there is a reason to kill a person or not. Maybe her hobbies are similar to the one's in the book. How scary.
This whole 'seat argument' was continuing even as I think. By raising a hand and saying "here you go" this situation would be settled.
Like everyone else in the bus, though, I didn't move. No one in the bus felt it was necessary to move. The attitude and the behaviour of the blonde guy had caught on with some of the passengers here and so they convinced themselves that he was right.
Of course, the elderly are undeniably important contributors and supporters of Japan.
But we, the youth, are the important human resources that will support Japan from now on. Also because the general population is decreasing, our value is also increasing.
So, if you compare both the youth and the elderly, it's clear which one is more important now. Well, this is a perfect argument isn't it?
Finally, this argument between the girl and the blonde boy is over. That was annoying to be honest. They were dragging it out, especially that beige-haired girl.
While watching this scene, I folded my arms and closed my eyes.
Anyways, They are wearing the same uniform with a red blazer like me, indicating that we'll be going to the same school and possibly be classmates. How interesting.
The bus soon came to a halt and arrived at the destination. As I got off the bus, there was a gate made of natural stone waiting for me to greet upon.
All the boys and girls wearing the same uniform got off the bus and passed through the gate.
Advanced Nurturing High School.
A school created by the Japanese government that aims to nurture young people to support the future.
It is a place that I will attend starting from today.
As I tried taking my first step towards the school and passing the gate, I was instantly stopped by someone on the way who tried to talk to me.
Oh, It seems the person who tried stopping me now, was the black-haired girl beside me on the bus.
"You were looking at me a while ago. Why"?, she said with a pretty firm look. But, unfortunately it doesn't scare me at all.
Let's act, I need to make good first impressions on my possible classmates too.
"Sorry, I was just a bit interested. For whatever the reason, you didn't consider giving up your seat either too, right"?
I gave a fake smile by moving the corner of my lips a bit upward and I tried to eliminate all of the negative aura that I might have currently. This is pretty easy. This makes it seem like I am normal and making myself effectively more friendly and approachable.