Kinn

I came back to my room post gym, and Ken was missing. There was a note on my table. I took it, and he told me that he had gone down to get a shower and get ready for work.

I folded the note and kept it away carefully in my pocket. I got ready for the day. I had back to back meetings and was out the whole day with Arm and Pol. Ken and Pete were assigned to the boys today and were at home.

I was midway through my day and was travelling back to another meeting venue when a car crashed into mine! I was stunned as my driver spun out of control. But he managed to gather himself and got the car back on track when 3 other cars consecutively hit us, sending us reeling, and I flew out! I groaned as I tried to stand up. Just as I did, I felt someone hit me hard, and I went down, blacking out, hearing people's voices all around me.

But all I could see was this patch of blackness all around me. I didn't know what happened though I felt someone's arms around me.

When I woke up hours later, I was in a hospital room, but it seemed private. I tried to sit up and someone supported me. I looked up and saw Ken. He held onto me steadfastly as he supported me and then made sure I was fine before calling the doctor. The doctor did his checks and said he will be back 3 hours later to check on me again. It hit me that only Ken was around.

"Where is everyone?"

"It's 3am. I sent everyone home. Told them to come back later."

"Why didn't you go home too?"

"I want to stay by your side."

I just looked down.

"Do you want anything?"

I shook my head no.

"OK good. Do you want to let go of that paper now?"

I was confused and looked down. I realized I was firmly grasping a piece of paper. It looked so familiar. That's when it hit me. It was the note that Ken had given me in the morning! Shit. Why was I holding onto it?

"When you got into that accident, you regained consciousness momentarily in the hospital. But they were trying to cut open your clothes and you held onto that note and refused to let go. At all. None of us could pull it away from you. That.. that paper looks familiar.. is it....?"

Ken looked at me questionably and I nodded. He sat down next to me in response and held onto my hand. I finally loosened my grip and he took the note out. He studied his own scrawling handwriting and looked at me.

I didn't know what to say. I had absolutely no reason on why I was holding onto it so steadfastly. Ken folded it back nicely and placed it in his pocket.

"I will keep it for you."

I just nodded, refusing to say anything lest I said something stupid. I was a confident man in my line of business. Why the fuck was I so stuttering or shy in front of my guard?!

Ken held onto my hand. I looked at him.

"I.. I nearly lost it when I heard of that accident. I was blaming myself for not forcing my hand in wanting to come with you. I.. couldn't breathe till I saw you. You drove me crazy for a while, Kinn. What are you doing to me?"

Ken then leaned his head on my forehead. I touched his cheeks gently. Ken pulled away to look at me and then leaned in. Before I could even grasp the situation, he had kissed me. He kissed me softly, his soft lips playing over mine, capturing and letting go of it, unsure of whether to proceed when I grabbed it back with mine.

That was his cue and he didn't let go, deepening the kiss. We finally broke away, our faces flushed, lips swollen slightly and quivering and our eyes desperately searching each other's for the answer we seek.

What was going on between us?