Ken

I was about to open my mouth to ask Kinn something when my phone rang. I looked at it. It was from home. Why was my home calling me at this ungodly hour?

I answered the phone. "Ma, is everything ok? Why are you calling now?"

"It's your brother. He got into an accident and was rushed to the operating theatre. I don't know Ken, the doctors..."

"Ma. I be there. It will be ok. I be there. Im coming down. Now."

I hung up and looked at Kinn.

"Go. Just go first. Keep me updated on everything, you understand?"

I nodded and took off. It was a 4 hour drive back to my own hometown, but Kinn had pulled some strings and got me a domestic flight that landed in an hour. I rushed to the hospital to only hear that my brother had been involved in a massive car accident and was on the verge of touch and go. I held onto my mother and father as they cried bitterly in my arms, praying for the best. We were in the hospital for 2 days straight, and we were absolutely refusing to leave.

On the 3rd day post surgery and monitoring, we got the good news that my brother will pull through. I heaved a sigh of delight and gratitude and sunk into a chair, trying desperately to hold my tears back. It finally sunk into me that I had to to settle his paperwork and left my parents to go do so; only to find out that it has all been settled, moreover my brother has been moved into a Class A private suite to recuperate and all bills settled.

I was surprised. Who had done that? My parents were with me, and it couldn't have been my siblings.

I went back to the waiting room where I saw an additional person standing. I walked up closer and realized it was Kinn.

"Kinn? What are you...doing here?"

"I wanted to make sure you are ok. I didn't hear from you for 2 days and got worried. I came straight up here but your parents told me you had gone somewhere."

I nodded, filling him in that I had gone to settle the hospital paperwork, but everything had been completed. Kinn just grinned at me.

It finally struck me! I opened my eyes, wide knowing what exactly he had done! Before I could say anything, he turned to my parents.

My mom looked at him and queried curiously on whom he was. Before I could say anything, Kinn replied to her.

"I'm his boss, Auntie. I just wanted to make sure he was fine. He told me what had happened. Is everything ok now?"

My mother filled him in on what had happened and also thanked him for coming down in person to see us. He waved it away, stating everything was ok and to let him know if anything else was needed. The doctor then came out, stating that we could go see my brother. My parents went in first whilst we waited. We decided to take turns so that it would not be overwhelming for my brother.

About two hours later, my brother was sleeping whilst Kinn sent my parents and siblings home. I offered to stay behind to keep an eye on him, and they all agreed. About 40 minutes later, Kinn came back. I was just seated in my brother's suite watching him sleep when Kinn walked in. He saw me and just stood near the bed. I stood up, grabbed his hand, and brought him out. I was silent all the way till we reached the neighbouring garden within the hospital's grounds.

Kinn was extremely confused by my sudden bout of actions. I finally let go of his hand when we reached the garden. I turned around to him and he was about to ask me if everything was ok when I hugged him tightly!

"Ken.."

"Shh please."

Kinn was quiet.

"What are you doing to me? Why are you doing all of these? Do you know what it's doing to my heart? I'm supposed to leave in July. But if I do, I can't see or call or contact you for the next 3 years. Why are you making this even harder by being so nice to me?! And my family. I don't deserve it. I really don't."

I just held onto Kinn even more tightly. He finally reciprocated by holding me back.

"I'm not doing any of this to make you stay. I'm only doing it because I care. I can't see you like this and don't want you handling it alone. I'm here for you."

"As? As who, Kinn?"

Kinn fell silent. He looked at me. "What do you want me to be?" He whispered softly.

I looked at him, pained. I knew I couldn't tell him how I desperately wanted him to be because we both knew it wouldn't go anywhere. I just fell silent.

Kinn repeated himself again but I kept quiet, realizing I couldn't answer my own question to him.

"I want to be more than just your boss, Ken. But we both know it's not going to happen. I don't think I can deal with you going away and not contacting me for 3 years if we wanted more. I guess, I can only be your boss."

I looked at Kinn stricken. He looked at me, trying to smile but I realize he was just as pained and conflicted I was. He tapped me gently on my cheeks.

"Let's go back. I promise to keep my distance."

I watched as Kinn took his hands out of mine and walked away. Fuck this shit.