The Call and Distraction

"Aurora," Alex's voice cut through the haze of Aurora's inebriation, her tone firm yet tinged with understanding. "I know you're out having fun, but I wouldn't have called if it wasn't important."

Aurora's brow furrowed in confusion, her intoxicated mind struggling to comprehend Alex's words. "Why are you calling from Leah's phone?" she slurred, her speech laced with a hint of defiance.

As Aurora's friends—Alexia and Mapi—exchanged worried glances, Alex sighed on the other end of the line, her patience wearing thin. "My phone is dead," she explained tersely, her voice tinged with frustration.

Aurora's gaze drifted to her surroundings, the dimly lit club swirling with vibrant colours and flashing lights. "Okay," she mumbled, her words trailing off as she tried to focus on Alex's voice. "But how do you know I'm out? For all you know, I could be asleep in my bed."

Alex couldn't help but chuckle at Aurora's feeble attempt to appear sober, her laughter echoing through the phone. "I've seen your stories, Aurora," she replied, her amusement evident in her tone. "And I could hear the club music when you answered the phone."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before Alex spoke again, her voice soft yet firm. "It's Leah"

Before Alex could continue, Aurora interjected, her voice tinged with defiance. "I'm not supposed to talk to or think about her," she declared, her words slurring slightly.

But Alex persisted, her tone pleading. " "I know, but she's not leaving the curb and won't go anywhere with anyone. She only wants you, Aurora."

Aurora hesitated, torn between her own pain and a sense of obligation to the person who had once meant everything to her. In the background, Aurora could hear Leah's voice, faint yet unmistakable, calling out for her. Her heart clenched at the sound, memories flooding back in a torrent of emotions.

"She's not my problem anymore," Aurora muttered, her voice thick with resignation.

But Alex wasn't ready to give up. "I know you're hurt," she said gently, "but she's in a bad way, Aurora. She needs you."

Alexia, sensing Aurora's internal struggle, stepped forward, taking the phone from her friend's trembling hand. "Aurora's too drunk to do anything right now," she said firmly. "And besides, she's not even in England. She can't help even if she wanted to."

Turning her attention back to Alex, Alexia's tone softened, yet held an unmistakable edge. "You're meant to be her friend too, Alex," she said pointedly. "And if you were, you wouldn't be trying to force her to speak to the girl who broke her when she's finally happy again."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, followed by a sigh from Alex. "I understand," she said quietly. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night air was cool against their flushed skin as Alexia, Mapi, and Aurora stumbled their way along the deserted streets, the echoes of laughter trailing behind them. But despite their intoxicated state, a heavy silence hung over them, the weight of the phone call still lingering in the air.

As they walked, their path veered off course, leading them away from the familiar streets and towards the gentle lull of the ocean. Before they knew it, they found themselves standing on the sandy shores, the rhythmic crash of the waves a soothing backdrop to their thoughts.

Aurora collapsed onto the soft sand, her head spinning with a dizzying mix of emotions. "I'm never going to see her again," she mumbled, her words tinged with resignation.