One

"For the fifth time, Saba. I feel nothing for Rohail." I was so tired from Saba continuously telling me about feelings I don't even have to begin with. I consider Rohail as a friend and he can't accept that neither can Saba believe.

"He proposed to you, Meerab. He has feelings for you obviously." She adds on and I listen while holding back a serious taunt.

"Tum meri dost ho yaa uski?" I question her in iration. What is this new trend of best friends stabbing one in the back without warning. "That is why it is forbidden to have male friends in Islam. Because in most cases, it becomes to more."

I hear Saba sigh tiredly. "He has serious intentions for you. Nothing haram. This proposal can only lead to marriage."

"Yeah right but I will reject him. Then it all becomes awkward afterwards." I mock a chuckle and hear her snicker at the other end. "It's purely your choice, Meerab. I'm just saying to be aware of him. He seems kind of obsessed."

"I know, I know," I lean back on the sofa and pull my feet up. "By the way how're you coping? Do you miss your parents?"

I felt bad for Saba. She had traveled to Pakistan on my insistence because I missed her so much and we hadn't met in years. Just to deal with Rohail's new found shit. I knew he was possessive, but I always thought of it in a brotherly way. Then he ruins everything by proposing and makes me question his every move. I'm wary of him now.

Saba lets out a shaky breath. "Yes, but right now I don't like them."

Huh? "But why would you not like your parents?" For a moment, there is complete silence. Wanting to see her face, I offered "Can we video-call?" She hangs up. In less than a minute I see Saba's sad face. "Kya huya?" I ask her, worried about the sudden change.

"Yaar, kahan phass gaayi hun main." Her face morphs into pure adulterated rage. "They want to marry me off."

Ab yeh kya naaya shosha hai? Sensing the genuine confusion she explains further. "My sister was the supposed bride. But you know she died years ago?" I nod. "So now I have to take her place. I thought they called the deal off. Seems they didn't. Now I'm the offer instead of my sister."

"But," I stress, horrified. "Saba, your family is so modern. Do they still engage in this type of stuff?" Saba looks at me with her puffy eyes. "Modern in words, not actions."

Suddenly, I was terrified for her. I knew my parents would never do something like this to me, you know, marry me off without my will. But I had not expected this from Saba. Her family was extremely modern and accepting. This was new. I know if this happened to me, I would rather die.

Thick silence spread like fire. Saba looked down while fidgeting her fingers. Must she be counting her days? "Is he at least hot?" I blurted out of nowhere. The gasp I gasped after was truly funny. Was I insane? Is it even important how the guy looked? By Saba's face I would see that he may look like a magazine model and she would still look at him like one looks at trash.

"Tum pagal ho?" She shrieked at and just looked at me funny. "Pata tha koyi na koyi bakwas karogi." I gave her a sheepish look, embarrassed by my unnecessary question. I was embarrassed. But I wouldn't show her. Because I'm Meerab for a reason.

"And to answer your question, yes he is hot. But not what I want still."

"Chalo. At least it's easy peasy to come close to him then." I assured her.

Saba laughed at my words, dryly. "Tum besharam ho. Tum nahin badlogi." But then she looked down. I wonder why. I managed to see the red coloring her cheeks. Saba isn't as innocent as she portrays to be.

"Tum bhi kuch kam nahin. Sharma kyun rahi ho, bawli?" My heart gallops as someone knocks on my door loudly. "Kaun hai?" I ask. I hated whenever someone interrupted my girly time with Saba.

"Meerab Bibi, aap ko aapke Baba bula rahe hain study mein." A maid informs.

I nod my head. Then I realized the maid cant see me doing that. "Acha theek hai, main bass aati hun." She leaves.

Saba watches me like a hawk. "What do you think he wants? Normally, he never calls you to his study." I ponder over that. What does he want.

"I guess I'll only find out once I face him," I answered her in an excited tone. "Bye, see ya tomorrow." Saba smiles at me warmly. "Mwah!"

What does he want, I wondered. As I pondered over that, I had already reached all the way down to his study. The door is wide open. My fathers face morphed into fear.