Three

"Do what you have to!" I screamed, trying to pull my arm away. "But I'm not leaving!" If possible, Baba's grip only tightened. Mama looked at Baba dejected, like she couldn't believe him.

"Finish the packing, Anila." He instructed her calmly. Mama nodded her head, her tears pouring out like buckets of rain.

The two other men were standing in a corner, witnessing the scene unfolding before their eyes. My heart felt heavy with pain, and I clutched the part of my chest where the heart lays. As if trying to assure it, but my heart only pounded louder in return.

"How can someone become so cruel in a matter of minutes?" I asked him. But Baba never looked in my direction, like he would die if he did. Look at me, Baba! I screamed internally. If only he looked at me and noticed my tears, maybe he would stop. But he never did.

"Leave my hand. I'll walk out by myself." Baba looked almost surprised at my choice of words. If I was leaving this house, I was leaving it with my dignity intact. By far, that is how I wanted it to be. Mama arrived with a handbag shortly after. I assumed there must be my important stuff in that bag. "Leave it," I told her. "I don't want any reminders on my new journey."

Her eyes widened. "Meerab..." She said gently, but I was high on betrayal.

"From now onwards, Meerab is dead. For you, and in actuality." She stepped back. Struck by my words. I knew she cared for me, but from today onwards, I strongly doubted her love. I doubted my whole life. "Goodbye." I pulled my wrist from Baba's grip and he let go of it. But I could not catch the look on his face, because I refused to look at it. I did not want to see any of them again. They betrayed me enough.

My supposed father shook hands with Baba. "It was a bad way to approach you, I admit, but I had to get her. We have decided for her, and I hope you'll realize that it's for the best. See you in two days." Baba never answered. The man greeted Mama before he put a hand on my head. Or tried to. But I stepped back in disgust before he was able to. My supposed fathers eyes expressed nothing but sadness, but I didn't care.

The scars I received tonight, would take a lifetime to heal.

He dropped his hand back, and looked at the younger man. He stood still with his hands folded behind his back. His black shalwar kameez fit him like a second skin. The man briefly gazed at me fiercely before walking ahead us. Guess he was driving tonight. And did not like me much.

I looked at the house one last time before sitting in the car. My childhood home where I grew up. Which I considered my warmth, my comfort, my home. Now, within no span of time, I had become homeless. Now I have no warmth, no comfort, no home. I wonder when I'll have that again. Maybe never. Maybe now, It's only a wish.

The two men sat at the front while I sat in the back. My mind was conflicted, and my head was spinning. I had no idea what was happening and how my life could change so suddenly.

How I was talking to Saba like always, but ended up in a car with strangers. How I discovered that I'm an orphan. My 'parents' are not my parents. And I had no one else beside them. Grief took over me.

Then I heard the horrifying voice of my supposed father, which put me into more grief. "Do you study?"

I felt like not answering him, but I was raised to respect my elders no matter what. "I just graduated."

The man hummed. Then he said something that broke my heart into several pieces. "You'll quit. Because you are a woman, and a woman's place is either in the kitchen or her husband's bed." Disgusted by his words, I kept silent. My disbelief was shattering my hope.