Four

The car ride was silent the rest of the way. It gave me a chance to daydream. I see the same little girl with charcoal eyes pleading with me, as I refuse to give her chocolate. Her father looks at me with soft eyes, pleading along with his daughter. Everything is magical, his touch, his smile, his adoration for our proof of love. I let myself dream. Not knowing if this will ever be a reality.

"Finally we're here." The younger man spoke. My supposed father grinned while cracking his back. "We still have to visit gaun, Murtasim." Oh, so that is his name. It's kind of dominating.

"I'll visit it tomorrow. Haya wanted to tag along." His eyes gazed at me from the rear way mirror, and out of pettiness I turned my head the other way. Why is he looking at me? But his eyes were still set on me, despite the ongoing conversation he had with the older man.

Anwar frowned. I know his name is Anwar, because mine is Meerab Anwar Khan. I had always wondered why my father didn't give me his own. But he just said it's a Khandaani name or something. Now I know the truth. "Is she going?" Anwar asked with gritted teeth. I guess both the men were not that fond of the mentioned woman.

"Begum is sending her with me." Murtasim sighs and gives Anwar a tired look. "Lets head inside for now." Both the men look back at me, and Anwar looks at me with determination. "Bhabhi Begum is the elder of our family. She is my deceased brother's wife. Murtasims mother. You'll have to respect her and greet her warmly." I nod, relieved that there is women in their house.

I exit the car and follow the men closely behind into the mansion. It's big and classy. It kind of looks like a castle. With white covering the walls, chandeliers everywhere, and expensive furniture. "Haya." Anwar says, and I stop to look at a woman. Her head was covered with a white dupatta, and she looked the epitome of purity. So the women here were covered. Interesting. "Yeh Meerab hai. Isse Bhabhi Begum se milwane le jao." He ordered her, and I watched as both men walked towards a room that looked alot like a study.

"Chalo Meerab," My attention went towards her again. Her expression was welcoming, but her eyes were blank. And I could see by her posture that she was clearly irritated by my unwanted presence. "Maa Begum intezaar kar rahi hain. Aur unhe intezaar karna pasand nahin."

Together we walked towards a bedroom. It was late at night, and I hoped that Begum would be asleep, but when Haya knocked on the door, a maid opened it.

"Salam." Haya said and sat at the foot of the bed. I wasn't aware of what I was supposed to do now, so I simply went with a greeting.

"Salam." Maa Begum looked up at me. Her eyes were covered in kohl. "Walaikum Assalam," Then she patted the spot beside her. "Aao. Baitho." I went towards her and sat down.

Her eyes scanned me from top to bottom. "Hayran hogi," She started to say. Her voice was sharp like a blade. "Pareshan bhi hogi. Roz nahin hota ke aik ladki ko uske ghar se nikala jaaye."

When I kept quiet, Maa Begum continued her speech. "We brought you here for a purpose. By now, I assume, you know the reality. Anwar is your father, one day you had to return to him." She said and gave a dark look to Haya, who covered back in fear before leaving the room hurriedly.

"But what is that purpose?" I spoke up and watched as surprised covered her expression. "It's not everyday people start power play over someone. Randomly."

Maa Begum went quiet. I thought she wouldn't answer me, but she spoke up. By the amount of time she took, I knew I had made her speechless. "We have decided to marry you." I searched her face. Wanted to see if this was honestly said. But then I realize that I don't know her, and the way her men acted tonight, this is not some comedy. "I hope isn't true." I managed to let out. Otherwise my throat had dried up.

"It is." I let out a laugh. Completely shocked by their bull-shit. Maa Begum watches me laughing like a clown. But her expression is blank. As if she's forced multiple women to marry. As if she does this every single day.

"Who is the lucky man?" I couldn't help but snort at Maa Begum's red cheeks. She looked almost embarrassed. My laughter had not died down. I placed my palms on my cheeks, trying to fane my hot cheeks. I had never laughed this much.

"Murtasim," She said. "My son."

My heart started beating faster, my mind was in a haze. What in the world! Yeh kaisa khaufnak mazzaq hai? Just as I was about to deny, and tell her that I'll run off, a knock sounded at the door. It was wide open. Maa Begum looked behind me and smiled in delight.

In curiosity, I faced the door, and the sight had me weak in the knees. Murtasim was standing there, his eyes focused on me, and a riffle in his hands. By his shock, I knew he had heard us. But by the stormy look in his eyes, I knew he was displeased.