Chapter 23 - Keep (Sunday Night Into Monday Morning)

I take in a deep breath of the cool night air and audibly exhale in frustration. I shove my hands in my pockets and kick a can from my path on the sidewalk. It's actually closer to dawn than midnight at this point but the street we're shuffling down is still quietly sleeping. We're almost home.

After a long stretch of uncomfortable silence, JiHoon finally said, "I don't know what to say because I'm not sure how to feel." He laced his fingers together in front of him, put his hands on his head, and let out a sigh. "I mean, are we relieved or disappointed that it wasn't her?"

I let out a wry guffaw and shake my head. "Both."

"Both," JiHoon repeats solemnly. "Is this how you feel every time?"

I nod.

He shakes his head. "You've got to stop doing this. Or at least stop doing it alone. I'm serious. It's not healthy."

"I know," I admit with a sigh. "But I don't know what else to do."

JiHoon gives me a soft couple pats on the back. "I'm sorry. It's not fair and I'm sorry that there's nothing I can do to help."

I shake my head and pat his back. "It's not for you to worry about or feel sorry about. This is why I do it alone. I don't want to burden anyone else."

"Friends are supposed to worry about each other. You're a friend, not a burden. When will you get that?"

I put up my hands. "Alright, alright! I will try to do better."

"I mean it!" JiHoon pokes a finger into my arm. "Next time, tell me and I'll come with you! I'll come with you every time. And if I can't, call Lucky or anyone else we work with. Any one of us would be happy to go with you. We're your friends, you idiot!"

"I said okay!" I howl as I rub the spot on my arm where he jabbed it. "Besides, I'm not the only one who needs to stop being such a loner!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" JiHoon looks genuinely surprised.

"Well, since we're out here dropping truth bombs, are you ready for me to throw one your way?" I raise my eyebrows at him.

He raises his eyebrows back at me. "Okay, hit me."

"It's time to get over your ex," I blurt out.

"What?" JiHoon laughs nervously. "Which one?"

"Oh come on! You know which one! You've only had one!"

"Me?" He points to himself. "I have-"

I cut him off. "You have slept with tons of guys, but you've only had one boyfriend."

JiHoon presses his lips together and looks away from me.

I put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm saying this as a friend who is worried about you."

He rolls his eyes.

"Cake and Mint were right...when they said what they said earlier...about settling down..." I steal a quick glance at his face to see how he is taking this. He remains expressionless so I continue, "Maybe with ChaMin?"

"Ha!" He bellows and points at me. I reflexively cover my arm in case he intends to poke me again. His eyes are wide with triumph. "So were they right about you, too, then? Are you going to settle down with Lucky?"

I pull my mouth to one side and look down at my own hands. Finally, I reply quietly, "Yes, I think I will."

"See?! If they- wait, what? What did you just say?" JiHoon stops walking and swings his arm so that the back of his hands hits my arm.