14. THE CONSTANT THOUGHT

The coo of pigeons notified about the morning followed by sunlight peeking through the window which was wide open and the curtains danced to the rhythm of the breeze

My hand unhurriedly caressed my eye gently and it opened only to see the view that I had been witnessing for one week since I arrived here to stay due to the accident.

Mr.Chauhan was busy pouring the grains on a huge rectangular-shaped plate installed right outside of his room window as his morning routine.

“I am sorry. I ruined your sleep” He apologised, turning his neck after glimpsing me.

“It’s okay. Good morning.” I greeted, disconnecting my body from the bed and sat followed by a silence between us.

“You could have waited for a minute so I would have helped you to sit” He expressed, walking near the bed.

“I will call Mihika to help you” He added and I nodded hearing his words.

My mind recalled his words on the first morning right after I shifted here. Actually, the birds have a habit of visiting here every morning and they don’t know I have been shifted to the next room. I won’t be disturbing you but I can’t keep them waiting as well.

………

Sitting on the bed, I stared at a disconnected smart TV in front of my eyes which slowly shifted on my phone screen to know the time and it was 8.30 am.

My breakfast must be arriving. My hands quickly picked up the phone to see myself with the help of the front camera. The white bandage was the highlight of my face joined by a scar on my cheek. My eyes shifted quickly on my leg, tied in a cast leading to question myself- what if it doesn’t heal? What would be the result when the doctor examines after a few weeks?

My mind unwantedly recalled Hriday’s words when he was speaking to Mr.Chauhan about my reports two days back in the hospital but they weren’t aware I overheard them.

Hriday, are you sure? Dr. Adarsh indicated the chances of her being physically handicapped.- His words echoed in my brain.

I shut my eyes to avoid negative thoughts making their way into my mind. I can’t even take the help of music to calm myself as I am asked to avoid anything that can result in an effect on my brain.

“Ms.Avantika” His voice brought my attention to him, realizing he was sitting next to me.

“Why are you crying?” He questioned placing the plate and juice glass on the nearby table of the bed.

I shook my head from side to side denying it, without uttering a single word to express my thoughts and my right hand tried sweeping away my tears from my cheeks.

“Are you okay?” He asked slowly with concern but my hands wrapped him, snuggling my head into his shoulder.

“I don’t want to see myself unable to walk” I sobbed painfully.