CHAPTER 13

4 years back ....(Flashback)

ABHÍMANYU'S POV

ABHÍMANYU'S POV

T

he evening had settled in, casting long shadows across the main hall where my family gathered. The elders lounged in their usual spots, a picture of tranquility, while my siblings' laughter and footsteps echoed as they chased each other. I strode in, my mind set on the solitude of my chamber, but a sudden, jarring **gunshot** stopped me in my tracks.

My heart leapt into my throat. I spun around, scanning the room. Everyone was still, frozen in place, and a spiderweb crack marred the painting behind my mother. The realization hit me like a punch-the shot was meant for her. We all rushed to her side, but she seemed lost in shock, whispering to Baba, "Maan, he is back."

Confusion clouded my thoughts. Who was 'he'? Why did his return shake her so deeply? Baba ushered her away, his arm protectively around her shoulders, and I was left with a storm of questions.

I needed to act. I grabbed my phone and dialed Shera, our head of security. "Shera, did you catch him?"

His response was a mix of frustration and apology. "Sorry, boss, but we lost him. He vanished into a room and... just disappeared."

Disappeared? How was that possible? I needed to see Mom, to ensure she was alright. I found her with Baba, their voices low and urgent. "He came back," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Baba's reassurance was firm. "Jaan, as long as I'm with you, no one can hurt you."

"But what about Meera? , He can harm her right or he already did ?" she asked, her voice laced with fear.

Meera aunty? But she was gone, wasn't she? The puzzle pieces weren't fitting together. I had to know more, to understand the threat looming over us. With determination fueling my steps, I barged into their room.

They stopped talking immediately, their expressions shifting. "Abhimanyu, what are you doing here?" Baba asked, a clear attempt to deflect.

I wasn't having it. "Please, continue. What were you discussing?"

They brushed it off, changing the subject with practiced ease. I knew they wouldn't divulge anything if I pressed. My gaze landed on Mom's diary. That diary held her life's story, and she had always promised to share it when the time was right. The answers I sought were within those pages.

I made a decision. I took the diary, knowing it was wrong, but desperate times called for desperate measures. Today, that bullet could have ended her life. I couldn't bear the thought.

After stealing a moment with Mom, wishing her good night and kissing her forehead, Baba's voice cut through the silence, tinged with mock jealousy. "She's my wife, don't kiss her. Find someone else for yourself."