9. maze of memories

FELIX

"J...Jake? Is that you?" I whisper, seeing a faint silhouette of a man tied to a chair in front of me. I myself was in the same situation, stuck in a smelly, claustrophobic room made of nothing but concrete. His head lolls to the side, letting the small beam of sunlight entering through a tiny patch illuminate his face. I gasp.

"Oh my God...what have they done to you?" I ask weakly. His face was bashed almost beyond recognition. Unexpectedly, I get a response.

"Wow, I'm really going insane, huh? I'm hearing Felix out of nowhere," he dryly chuckles to himself, no humor laced in his words.

"No you idiot! Look at me, I'm right here!" I raise my voice to grab his attention. I wanted to run to him and hug him so bad.

"What the-"

"It's really me! Do you know how long I've been looking for you?"

"But- but how did you get here? How did you find me? Don't tell me you're trapped here because of me," he says, looking at me apologetically. "Is that Hwayoung?"

I whip my head around and notice the unconscious figure behind me. "Yeah. Do you remember what happened?"

"That all feels like years ago. I still have no idea who took me and I don't want to know either. I just want to go back home and see Layla." My heart hurts for him. He must have gone through so much. I hear some scraping noises behind me and turn to find Hwayoung slowly waking up. How long we were out for, i had no idea.

"Good Lord, is that you Jake?" She asks groggily, eyes flying open at his ragged appearance.

"Yeah. I'm still alive so I'll be fine. Don't worry," he reassures.

"Aww, what a heartwarming moment between you best friends!" A voice interrupts us. "Splendid show, I must admit. I wish I could have watched the rest of it but I'm afraid there's things that need to be done."

"Heeseung," I seethe. "What the hell is the meaning of all of this?" I had so many questions. "How are you alive?"

"For a detective you'd think you're bright, but apparently not," he chuckles, dragging a foldable metal chair from behind and sitting on it. He brings out a box of cigarettes and a lighter, letting the smoky air fill the cramped space within seconds. Jake coughs.

"Cut the crap, Lee," Hwayoung glares at him.

"Ooh, I'm scared," he pretends to be intimidated by her words. He was wasting all of our time. "It's simple, really. You see, the guy who died in prison was a body double. While you were all preoccupied with fake me, I took the chance and escaped."

"What's the deal with the whole Ethan thing and the drug ring here?" I ask.

"I came here, forged a new identity and started my business here. That's precisely why you're here. You took down what I had worked so hard to build and now you're going to pay." Does he think he's the main lead in some movie to be spitting such cinematic dialogues? It didn't make sense.

"Gee, I'm sorry that we're good at our jobs. While we did find out later that you had nothing to do with the human trafficking side business, you would still have gotten a pretty long sentence for your other crimes. Don't try to escape your fate," Hwayoung says.

"That's pretty fucking rich coming from someone who's tied up and completely within my control. Where do I start with you two, hmm?"

UNKNOWN

I don't know why I'm back here. I really don't. I stand before the torn down structure which once housed my worst nightmares. There was barely anyone passing by near it. Cobwebs hung from everywhere and burn marks painted an entire side of the house. It looked just like a haunted house.