15. connected

FELIX

"Sorry for bothering you like this. I needed someone more tech-savvy for this," Jisung says as I enter the computer room upstairs.

"I'm offended you would say that when I'm right here," Changbin mocks being hurt by putting his hand to his chest.

"That's true. Why do you need me?" I ask.

"Do you have an Instagram account?" Jisung asks randomly. I raise my eyebrow in confusion but still open the app on my phone as asked.

"Why?"

"My neighbour was showing me a clip from the SNU incident and I found something weird about it. Is there any way to search it up?"

I nod and type some relevant keywords into the search bar. My feed fills up with videos shamelessly taken at the crime scene. I click on one.

"Wait, is that Jeongin next to the victim?" Changbin asks.

"So I wasn't the only one thinking that. Can you open the footage which you were sent?"

We scroll through all the videos and surprisingly Jeongin was in most of them, lying next to the dead body and looking like he was about to burn someone's soul. However, he was not there in the footage we had. Completely invisible throughout the whole ordeal as if he was never there.

"Hey Changbin, could you get family records of the deceased? I'm curious about something. The name is Yang Jaewoo," Jisung asks. He nods and gets to work immediately, typing away at his computer.

"Birth father's name: Yang Ilbok, birth mother's name: Yang Juri and name of any other sibling..." his words trail off as he reaches the end of his sentence.

"Yang Jeongin."

HWAYOUNG

"I'm getting a little tired. You wanna grab some coffee with me?" I ask Yeji. The sun was beginning to dip below the horizon and so was my energy.

"Oh God, yes. I desperately need a break. Let's take a short walk after getting them, my muscles are so sore," she says, stretching her arms and fingers. We head downstairs to the café and place our usual orders.

"Here you go," Jeongin hands us our drinks with a smile. I had missed seeing him but something about him was off today. Maybe it was because it's been a while since I came here.

As I'm about to grab my americano, I notice something peeking out of his pocket that catches my attention. It was a sliver lighter with a wing engraved in it. Just like the one I found at the gas station. I'm about to dismiss it until I hear his next words.

"Bye Hwayoung," he waves at me cheerfully after handing it to me. Yeji had already gotten out of the building by then.

Goodbye Hwayoung. See you in hell.

The words from last night echo in my head as the coffee drops from my hand in realization. The voice. The eyes. No wonder it was so darn familiar to me.

"You...GET AWAY FROM ME!" I shriek, pointing a finger at him. Yeji rushes back inside after hearing me.

"Hwa? What happened?" She asks, looking at the drink spilled on the floor. Jeongin looks at me in confusion.

"Me? Did I do something wrong?" He asks innocently.

"I can't believe you. You were the one who attacked me last night!" I accuse.

"What? You were attacked last night? Why would I attack you?"

"Oh my God, am I going crazy? I'm so fucking sure it was you!" I yell in frustration. I grab him by the collar, threatening to punch him.

"I have no idea what you're talking about! Please let go of me," he begs, tears forming in his eyes. What the hell? Am I delusional? This grown man here is about to cry at my confrontation, but the same guy was trying to kill me last night.

Suddenly, the look in his eyes change and a devilish smirk creeps up his face.

"I'm going to finish you," he says, grinning like a maniac.

I scream as he shoves Yeji aside and wraps his fingers tightly around my throat, pinning me to the floor and attempting to choke me.

"STOP RIGHT THERE, YANG JEONGIN!" I hear Hyunjin's voice as more footsteps rush downstairs. Felix hits him in the back of his head with a fire extinguisher to get him to release the pressure off my throat, making me gasp for breath. Hyunjin handcuffs him from the back.

"He'll live, don't worry," Felix shrugs, seeing the look on Changbin's face. Jisung rushes to me.

"Hwa, are you okay?" He asks. If I had a penny for how many times I've been asked that question today. I sit up, trying to calm down my erratic heart rate and my breathing.

"Jeongin was the one who kidnapped Jake," Hyunjin says, showing the sketch.

"He was behind the threat. He was the car accident victim's brother and none of his living relatives or anyone close to him found out about his demise before the mail was sent," Felix adds.

"And...he was also behind the gas station murder. He's got the same lighter that was there at both the crime scenes. The one at the diner was kind of damaged but I'm sure it's same thing," I finish. We sit there in silence, letting all the information soak in.

"He's just a little boy..." Jisung says, his tone a mix of sympathy and wonder.

"How could he do this? Why would he do this?" Changbin asks. I think about the same. What has he gone through that made him turn out like this?

"How should we proceed?" Jisung asks.

"I think if we organize the evidence properly we'll be able to file a case in no time. I'm just so puzzled by his behavior," I say. "He was about to cry when I accused him of ambushing me last night, but his attitude switched up in the snap of a finger and he tried to choke me."

"This feels so weird...I've known him ever since he started part timing here as a teenager and he's never acted like that before. He was such a sweetheart to all of us," Changbin says and we nod in agreement. Jeongin was the last person I would suspect to be the mastermind behind any of these crimes.

"I'm afraid it's not time to let Attorney Lee leave just yet."