10. hit-and-run

HWAYOUNG

"Such a pretty face. Too bad I'm going to ruin it," Heeseung grabs my chin and examines my face. He raises his foot and places it on my thigh. The blood and dirt under his polished shoe makes me want to bathe myself in ice water.

"Don't touch her," Felix growls, blood dripping from the corner of his mouth. As inappropriate as it was in the moment, I felt butterflies in my stomach hearing those words.

"I will do as I please," he calmly says, kicking him in the guts and causing him to fall to the side. I gasp.

"You sick-"

"Hold those sweet words. Let me answer this call," he interrupts me when his phone rings. I groan. How much longer were we going to be trapped here? I had watched him beat the shit out of Felix a few hours ago and it was unbearable. He knew what he was doing when he chose to get revenge on Jake this way.

"Yeah...mhm...so you don't want the full payment?...alright half payment...you need my resources?...okay, consider it done. I am a man of my word," he mutters over the phone. I was trying hard to hear the other end of the conversation but he could tell that was my intention and started scraping the chairs back and forth on the cold concrete.

"Okay, that's been settled. Back to where we stopped, sweetheart?" He grins, enjoying the fact that he was pissing off each one of us.

"You're disgusting," I say.

"Don't take it too personally. I only need Jake to feel what I felt."

"If you have a problem, settle it with me. Why are you getting my friends involved?" Jake asks, his voice a hoarse whisper from how weak he had gotten.

"What are you going to get out of this? You're just wasting your time," I try to reason with him. Of course, I was the idiot for trying to reason with a criminal.

"I have all the time in the world, darling. You've clearly never heard of satisfaction," he says nonchalantly. Something about the look in his eyes changes and I could tell he was up to no good.

"Speaking of satisfaction, there's plenty we could do." He gets closer and whispers in my ear, "Play along or else you die."

"Don't even think about it, you pervert," Felix glares, still on the ground.

"Oops, already did. Jungwon, free her."

"STOP TORTURING MY FRIENDS YOU PSYCHO! THEY DID NOTHING! LEAVE HER ALONE!" Jake's voice echoes through the room. He barely had the energy to speak, but his bloodshot eyes spoke volumes.

Two guards grab me by the arms and drag me out of the room. "Let go of me!" I yell as I attempt to kick them. Unfortunately for me, my muscles were cramped and did not move an inch. They take me to another room, identical in appearance to the one I was just in. They tie me up again.

"What are you going to do?" I ask. I didn't want to sound scared, but my voice quivered just the slightest bit and exposed my vulnerability.

"Look at you, pale as a sheet," he laughs. "Stop worrying so much. I may not be the best human being but at least I care about consent. I'm just going to give him the benefit of the doubt and let him think of the worst case scenario." What kind of messed up mindset did he have?

"What exactly did Jake do that you're so butthurt about?" I ask. I attempt to stay calm because I needed some real answers.

"You wanna know why? Because I lost everything that meant to be because of him. My family, my home and my work. My sister took her life because she couldn't bear the fact that I was a 'human trafficker'. Because your sad excuse of a friend is a pathetic, incompetent lawyer who couldn't save his first case!" He yells hysterically. It was clear he was about to unpack a lot for the first time.