Chapter 5: Relieved

"What will we do with them?" Mallard asked, already knowing the answer he had put in Edmond's head.

The news of what the knights had done to Ficus had made its way back to Oros faster than the knights had, and Mallard had made sure that Edmond was properly furious about it. Sure, Edmond had sent the men, and told them to use any means necessary to find the woman and any of her children, but he did not expect them to burn the entire village down. As far as Edmond or his council were concerned, they had managed to get absolutely nothing accomplished besides inciting a great deal of hatred for the throne.

"The incident has started an uproar in the land. A letter from Dryhaven arrived only yesterday, followed by another from Shaw and the Riverford this morning, your Grace. Every lord writes to question the means of the destruction of the village. They warn that the forest clans talk of rebellion, and do not seem to be on the side of Oros." Mallard said, quite plainly.

The forest clans were no threat to the kingdom themselves, but if the rest of the land heard what the knights had done it would not be long before they had the support they needed. Edmond may have been a fool, but he was smart enough to know when matters were serious.

"I do not know Mallard, this is why I have you people around."

"Well, if I may point out, you did not listen when I said that we should not send men to openly question them."

Edmond did not look happy to be told his mistakes. "Well next time maybe you should speak louder."

Mallard had spoken quite loudly, but that was often little matter when it came to the matter of alchemists. The matter was too personal to Edmond to see clearly.

"Yes, your Grace. Next time I will be sure to do so."

"So, don't you have any bright ideas?"

"I have one."

"Spit it out, then."

"I propose we let the forest councils decide what to do with the knights who committed the act. Say that you offer your sincerest apologies, and that they were not instructed in any way to commit such heinous crimes."

"You want me to have my knights put on trial?"

"Mallard, forgive me." Teryl interrupted. "But the king did give the orders, and the knights have done their duty."

"They have not. They did not bring the woman, nor the boy back."

"The woman was dead. For all we know the boy is too."

"For all we know isn't good enough for our King." Mallard played the game.

Edmond looked quite pompous at hearing this. "Yes, not good whatsoever. They must stand trial, indeed."

"You're just to see it so, your Grace." Mallard continued to play into Edmond's quite unjustly inflated ego.

"But to let the forest councils decide. That is not the way of law in Oros, my king. If we are to extend the judgement to them, what are the rest of the knights to think. What becomes of the city law if men are not to be tried properly?" Teryl said.

"That they should be more careful." Mallard bluntly stated. "Besides, if we offer them trial by the standards of Oros, they will be given a chance to explain that they were told to use any means necessary. The trial may turn in their fortune, and then we would have the same problem we have now. We need to make the forest folk feel they have gotten their justice."

Edmond agreed with everything. Mallard was good. He admired the man as much as he hated him. Two men as smug as the two could never have been true friends, but Edmond had to respect Mallard for his counsel.