Chapter 33: Right Now Sounds Good To Me

"I'm so bored." I groaned, dropping my head face first onto the pillow. "And my dad's working and you won't entertain me."

Jack laughed next to me, "I'm all for entertaining."

I lifted my head up and rested it on my palm. He was still lying on his back with his eyes closed, "Is this a game to you?"

He turned his head in my direction and opened his eyes, "Don't you know me by now?" His smile turned into a grin.

I narrowed my eyes, glaring at him, "Oh, I know you all too well, Jack."

As I started to get out of his bed, I stumbled and fell to my butt. Jack of course started laughing and I stood up. "Where are you going?" He managed between laughs.

"My room where no one is laughing at me." I stuck my tongue out at him like a child and stomped little ways down the hallway to my room. I heard Jack's bare feet padding against the wooden floors but I wasn't quick enough to close my door. He scooped me up in his arms and I couldn't help the giggle that came out.

Jack tightened his hold around my legs when I struggled to get down, "Apologize and maybe, just maybe, I'll put you down."

I stopped the fight and hooked an arm around his neck, "You're going to be holding me for quite sometime then."

"You underestimate me."

"Really?"

"Oh, yeah."

He brought me to my bed and sat me down against the pillows. When contact was lost, I crossed my arms over my chest from a sudden chill. The warmth of Jack's chest was a loss I didn't know I needed right then. "Is this my punishment?" I asked, playfully pushing out my bottom lip.

He stopped in the doorway and turned around. The corner of his mouth tugged into a smirk, "No. We need more blankets and pillows."

I raised an eyebrow, but he didn't respond to that. He walked out of my room and didn't come back until five minutes later with his arms filled with the blankets and pillows from his bed. He dropped them on the floor and grinned at me, "Any idea yet?" He asked.

"Not one."

He walked to the other side of the room and pulled the chair from the vanity. There was another small chair near the closet that he also brought near the pile he made. "How about now?"

A smile slowly slid on my lips, "A fort?"

When he nodded, I jumped out of bed to help, "How old are we?"

"Psh. You're never too old to build forts. Especially in stormy weather."

I just shrugged, "You have a point."

We went to work, building the fort. It expanded several feet in all directions. We tried to make it as big as possible. I went inside the fort and started placing the pillows inside. We had some extra blankets and sheets in here as well to make it even more comfortable.

I wonder what my dad would think. Or even my grandparents for that matter. Jack and I are building a fort on our last day here. It almost sounds weird.

Almost.

We finished the fort and Jack joined me inside. He looked around and nodded his head, "We make a pretty good team." He lay back on the mountain of pillows that I made and he held out his arms for me.