Chapter 14

12 months later

Liquid rushes out of my ears, over and past my skin, as I tumble out of a vertical bath, rolling onto the floor, banging my head on polished cement as I wake up gasping, turning to see the room I've been held prisoner in.

It's a military hanger, OurTcno symbols on the walls.

I see the walls are natural rock carved straight, so we're underground.

Above me, in my confused stupor, my vision blurs as a tall green Kor materialises above me.

Mars.

With long dreadlocks, handsome dark green eyes and velvet skin, razor sharp teeth from a worried smile, as his hands help me sit up gently, "It's me..." such a soft, soothing voice, "Maelstrom," what the –? I stop breathing as I stare wide-eyed back at the familiar Kor. He searches my eyes, he sounds both happy and sad to see me, "I'm sorry, mother. I'm sorry you've been woken so violently."

How – how much time has passed? What the fuck?

I just stare at Maelstrom, completely confused as I hold onto his arms, "What happened," I rasp, my vocal cords hurt to use, "What's h-happening – am I dreaming?"

"It's been 12 months since they stole you away," Maelstrom holds my arm tight, noticing I'm weak and almost falling back as I try to steady my breaths, "Don't you remember? Danger?"

I look around the room, hearing a faint alarm, "What's happening right now?"

"The Kors were not happy that you dropped off their radar. The Estori and the Entary declared war when they could not find you, they demanded your return – with no contact, they started to believe you might be dead, but no one they tortured would hand over a body. So they knew you were being kept somewhere with defences they couldn't penetrate," Maelstrom looks over me with a mellowed joy, like he wants to celebrate that he found me but he's too stressed right now, "It'll be okay when I return you. No one knows we're here. I went looking with my brothers and Lyra helped direct. She was the only one who could sense you."

Lyra... my daughter.

12 months had past?

She'll be an adult Kor.

"Are we safe?" I ask this quickly because I fear for where we are and who might storm in here.

"The facility is empty. Don't worry. On a larger scale, there's been a small ceasefire after some mass casualties – for your kind, not mine," Maelstrom sighs, "No worlds were destroyed, just military targets where they could confirm you weren't on board. You've been Earth's shield. The Estori figured you were being hid here somewhere. The Kors are scattered. No squad formations are allowed right now. No Kor has been captured. But Dark Ninth is on fire. Although E turned on defences late, it'll still recover. And you... as Empress you will decide the fate of everything, Moga – I mean mother, stay with me," Malestrom sees me about to pass out, but this time it's from the shock of it all, "I have to take you to father – or he's not going to make it."

Wait – no.

"What? Where's Mars, what happened to Mars?" a rush of adrenaline gets me to wake right back up.

"He was convinced you were dead, so Alpha Centauri and Venus had to put him away," Maelstrom holds a lot of information back with that one strained statement.

I'm only partly happy that Mars is at least not a hostage in war.

"I will call out to him now," I suggest.

"Don't. I'll take you to him. But if anyone finds out where you are, the war won't end. I'm here to help you disappear. I have a plan," Maelstrom sounds so certain, "I will protect you... Empress."