Chapter 5: Just a Friend

Jade was now walking with Karkat now. Earlier she asked if she could get off Dave's horse and so Dav let her. She wanted to get off because she was starting to feel a little awkward around Dave and the silence between them so Jade went to talk to Karkat. It was the early afternoon so the sun was right around the center of the sky.

By the time she was walking next to him Karkat said, "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?"
Jade quickly responded, "Nothing!! I just wanted to talk to you. Geez, fuckass."
Karkat glared at her and said, "ABOUT WHAT, EXACTLY?"
"I just want to get to know a little about you. That's all!"
"WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT ME?"
Jade grabbed Karkat's arm and pulled him closer to her so his ear was close to her lips. She then whispered, "Look, it's so awkward riding with Dave on that damned horse in silence. I just want to talk to at least someone, is that too much to ask for?"
"FINE.", Karkat surrendered. Jade let go of his arm. "WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO FUCKING KNOW ABOUT ME? NOTHING TOO PRIVATE, GOT IT?!? I DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU MY WHOLE FUCKING DAMNED LIFE."
"How about...", there was a pause as Jade tried to figure out what she wanted to know about him. "Where do you live?"
"I LIVE IN THE CASTLE THAT DAVE LIVES IN. SINCE I'M HIS FRIEND HE LET ME STAY IN AN EXTRA ROOM THEY HAD AT THE CASTLE. BUT BEFORE THAT I LIVED IN A SMALL VILLAGE IN THE ALTERNIAN KINGDOM.", Karkat answered.
"You lived in the Alternian kingdom?!"
"YEAH, MY OLDER BROTHER, KANKRI, STILL LIVES THERE. IT'S REALLY HARD TO LEAVE THAT KINGDOM, ESPECIALLY WITH SOMEONE AS COLD AND CRUEL AS THE CONDESCENSION."
"The Condescension?"
"HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF HER? SHE'S THE RULER THERE. I USED TO BE SECRETLY FRIENDS WITH HER DAUGHTER, THE HEIRESS OF THAT KINGDOMW, UNTIL I LEFT."
"Do you have any other friends or family members that still live there?"
"FRIENDS. YES. FAMILY MEMBERS... KANKRI WAS THE ONLY FAMILY MEMBER I HAD. BUT I DO KNOW PEOPLE THAT ALSO LEFT THE ALTERNIAN KINGDOM AND CAME HERE. THERE'S KANAYA, TAVROS, GAMZEE, AND TEREZI."
"Gamzee? I think I know him!! Wait, was his last name Makara?"
"YEAH IT WAS. SO YOU KNOW HIM?!? DO YOU KNOW WHERE HE IS? I HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN A LONG TIME."
"Yeah!! He works at a shop at a village that is near my house! You can probably meet him later on... So what about your other friends that are here?"
"WELL, I DON'T KNOW WHERE TAVROS CURRENTLY IS, BUT I DO KNOW WHERE KANAYA AND TEREZI ARE. THEY BOTH LIVE IN THE CASTLE, KANAYA HELPS WITH CHOOSING AND DESIGNING THE CLOTHES FOR THE ROYAL FAMILY, WHILE TEREZI HELPS WITH THE LAW AND FIGURING OUT MURDERS AND ALL THAT SHIT. TEREZI'S SISTER IS ONE OF THE KNIGHTS BUT SHE DIDN'T COME WITH US." Jade nodded her head at what Karkat was telling her until he mumbled something under his breathe that sounded like, "THANK GOODNESS."
"Why do you say that?"
"SHIT, YOU HEARD THAT?"
"Yes, and not like I know this girl so it's very unlikely I'll tell her that you don't like her."
"I NEVER SAID THAT I DIDN'T LIKE HER."
"But you aren't denying it."
"YOU KNOW WHAT? FORGET THAT I SAID ANYTHING. LETS JUST SAY THAT SHE'S A JACKASS THAT IS TRYING TO PULL OFF A COOL GIRL ACT."
"I's Terezi the same way?"
"NOT EXACTLY BUT AT LEAST SHE'S BETTER THAN HER. SHE CAN ACTUALLY MAKE PEOPLE LIKE HER WITH OUT PUTTING ON A FAKE ACT. TEREZI CAN SOMETIMES PUT HERSELF DOWN BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE LIKE HER SISTER MORE THAN HER. I TRY TO HELP HER OUT BUT IT NEVER WORKS."
"Do you like her?", Jade said this in a smug voice. Karkat's face turned red and his expression looked even more angry.
"FIRST OF FUCKING ALL, THATS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. LEAVE THAT SHIT THERE AND WALK AWAY. SECOND OF ALL, SHE ALREADY HAS DAVE. AND LASTLY, EVEN IF I DID LIKE HER, WHICH I DON'T, SHE DOESN'T FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT ME SO IT'S POINTLESS."

Jade felt like it was hollow inside her chest. "She's with Dave?"
"YEAH. BUT I SHOULDN'T GET TOO MUCH INTO THAT SINCE IT IS NONE OF YOUR business.", Karkat continued rambling about how Dave's and Terezi's relationship was none of her business but Jade ignored him. She tuned out all the sound around her.

Jade felt so angry but upset at the same time. There wasn't even any disappointment, just sad and anger. Jade wanted to cry but she didn't at the same time, not in front of everyone here. Jade was wondering why she felt this way, then she realized it was because of Dave. 'I just met him, I should be upset about this! Dave's just a friend... Well... More of an acquaintance than a friend.' , Jade thought.