Trekking The Clouds

The mountains towered before him, their jagged edges stark against the morning sky. As Dragonfly flew closer, the air grew cooler and thinner, the scent of pine and earth filling his senses. It was his first time this far from home, and every sight and sound was new to him.

The river that had been his guide now meandered into the mountain range, becoming a narrow stream that cascaded down rocky cliffs and through deep ravines. Dragonfly knew he had to follow this path, but it was going to be challenging—navigating through the treacherous terrain while staying alert for signs of other dragons.

As he climbed higher, he noticed a small clearing nestled between two ridges. It seemed like a good spot to rest and take in his surroundings. He landed lightly, his wings folding neatly against his back as he scanned the area. It was quiet, with only the distant roar of the waterfall and the occasional call of a mountain bird.

He took a moment to enjoy the view, looking out over the sprawling forests and the distant horizon. But as he did, he caught a glimpse of something unusual—a trail of smoke rising from beyond the next ridge. It was faint, almost invisible against the morning sky, but it was definitely there.

Smoke meant fire, and fire meant someone—maybe other dragons. His heart raced with excitement as he spread his wings to take off, but he hesitated. What if it was dangerous? What if it wasn't friendly dragons, but something else? He remembered Moth's warning to be careful and decided to approach with caution.

Keeping low and quiet, Dragonfly flew toward the source of the smoke, using the trees and rocks for cover. As he drew closer, he could hear voices—low, gruff voices, speaking in a language he couldn't quite understand. He peered over a rock and saw a small camp with three dragons gathered around a fire, their scales glistening in the light of the flames.

They were much larger than him, with rougher scales and heavier builds. They didn't look like SilkWings or any other dragons he knew from Pantala. They seemed to be arguing about something, their voices rising and falling in heated debate.

Dragonfly listened carefully, trying to make out what they were saying. It was clear they were talking about someone or something they were expecting, and it didn't sound friendly. He felt a chill run down his spine. If these dragons were hostile, he needed to be careful. He couldn't let them see him, or his mission would be in jeopardy.

He backed away slowly, making sure to stay out of sight. As he retreated to a safer distance, he knew he had to find another way around the camp. His journey was already proving to be more dangerous than he expected, and he would need to be clever if he wanted to avoid trouble.

With his heart racing and his mind filled with questions, Dragonfly set off, determined to continue his mission while staying out of harm's way. He would need to find the truth about these new dragons and their intentions, but he knew he had to do it without getting caught. The journey ahead was full of uncertainty, but he was ready to face it.