*iii. it's halloween

IT'S HALLOWEEN

IT'S HALLOWEEN

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ Gina woke to her head throbbing, feeling the pain from last night finally set in.

Her hands sting as she tries to crack her knuckles, red and cracked.

Walking into the bathroom, she sees a bruise showing under her eye, a purple half moon shape covering her cheekbone.

She hopes Tommy looks worse.

Gina leaves the bathroom, but Max is standing right there, dressed in all black with a fake knife. Gina tries to hide the jump as Max smirks. "What are you doing?"

Max shrugs. "It's Halloween."

"So it is." Gina's expression doesn't change, her face still confused. "What's the getup?"

"Michael Myers."

"At seven in the morning?"

Max shrugs again. "I'm wearing it to school."

Gina's eyes widen. "Don't do that," she advises.

"Why?"

"You're not a nerd, kid," Gina says, walking by Max.

"Wait what's on your fa—"

"—Don't worry about it."

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ Gina managed to avoid her dad and made it to school, pretending she doesn't notice the stares she's getting while walking in the hallway.

She makes it to her locker, twisting the knob when Steve comes up to her, a cautious smile on his face, it quickly turning into an awkward one once he notices the bruise. "Oh, sh—"

"Stop," Gina immediately interrupts Steve. "I don't need your pity. I don't know why you're being nice to me anyways."

Steve shrugs, looking around. "I mean, you're cool and nice and—"

Gina holds back a smile, lightly hitting Steve on the arm. "Bye, Steve."

Now it totally seems like Steve has a thing for Gina, but it'll never happen. Gina can't tell anyone why. It's her darkest secret. Nobody can know. No one.

As Gina walks to the library, she passes Tommy in the hallway with his own bruise on his nose, turning purple under his eye.

He glares at her as they cross paths, Gina giving him a proud smirk back.

Gina sits down at a table in the library, just to find Steve and Nancy sitting right across from her.

Great, now she looks like a stalker.

After a little while, she notices Steve and Nancy talking in hushed voices, cautiously looking around after every word. Then Steve pulls Nancy into a separate room, shuts the door, and pulls the blinds completely shut.